JDM KA24DE

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KA24 line was primarily a USDM engine. 

the car KAs in 240sx were built in japan, but were shipped to the US in 240s. 

240sxs didnt have KA in japan, hence why the KA is mainly a USDM engine. 

All the truck type engines are built in mexico, and dont share internal parts with the car version. 

being able to have OBDII system on the motor. its not for sure just doing a bit of research for the time being.

Why would that matter? It will throw codes anyways won't it?

well the only reason I'm considering on it is because prices of american kA's are soaring upwards to $500+ for the swap that has fairly high miles and also needs to be rebuilt (+1200 for parts and labor). there is some importers in LA that sell a low milage motor (40K) for about $7-800. think it would be easier to buy a low milage motor to be ready to drop in with a little refreshening (head gasket, water pump, oil pump etc) then to buy a used KA that was beat by some drift punk and is too much of a bi0tch to own up to the rod knock that the motor has. this would be a swap for my already KA'd pick up so most of the work is converting from a sohc to dohc. 

P.S, I'm very passionate about buying motors that aren't what they are advertised. first KA i bought was for 500 full swap with the understanding that it was ready to drop in with no issues. after swap was done and finally fired up, i find out that it shot. machine shop said that 2 valves where bent, cam was fucked, all the pistons and rings had to be replaces and the bearings where spun. 

Recent bought a wagon (for a high price) with the understanding that the motor was pretty much new, after 2 hours of driving it back home the day i bought the wagon lost compression of two of the cylinders and previous owner doesn't wanna own up to anything.

Never assume the motor is good

Maxima kas won't work

Prices are high because you're in California

• Like 1

It's a bunch of work as in engine mounts are in completely different locations on the fwd block, so you will have to fabricate mounting brackets for the engine. The distributor sticks out the back of the head at least 6 inches. This overhangs the trans with no issues in fwd, but that means clearance issues with a firewall when mounted rwd. No one is really sure whether the rwd trans bolt pattern matches the fwd. Most likely it does, but finding out after buying the engine would suck. Also, not well known if the oil pans are interchangeable, if you need a different shaped sump. The upper coolant outlet will be facing the back of the vehicle when installed rwd, this may be as easy to correct as removing it and rotating it, or buying one from a 240sx, but then again it may require a custom one or tons of research. The intake manifold is facing the wrong direction so your throttle body would be facing the firewall. Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure you will find lots of small things that have to be moved changed or turned.

However, none of that is to say don't do it. I'm a huge fan of going against the grain. But where cost is a large consideration, I'm afraid that by the time you get all those little issues straightened out, you will actually spend more money total than you would just buying rwd.

good info, thanks again 

KA24 line was primarily a USDM engine. 

the car KAs in 240sx were built in japan, but were shipped to the US in 240s. 

240sxs didnt have KA in japan, hence why the KA is mainly a USDM engine. 

All the truck type engines are built in mexico, and dont share internal parts with the car version. 

I believe there was a ka in some minivan in japan well as far as wikipedia says 

thanks again all