where to find air fuel ratio solenoid

thumbs75

I just picked up an 86 720 it would not pass emmitions so after buying a factory shop manual and some testing i found the culprit to be a bad air fuel ratio solenoid or mixture control solenoid ( ive searched for both ) but anyway the only ones i can find are on ebay and they are on back order for months does anyone know where to get one without buying a whole replacement carb

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap way would be to get a carb rebuild kit off rockauto.com and completely take it apart and clean it. The truck will run better and be easier to tune, and you'll be able to make it pass. I made one of my old 720's with a Weber pass by adjusting the mixture screw in the parking lot until it passed.

• Like 1

The large round 6 pin connector on the back of the carb is also problematic. The wires tend to break inside the insulation from flexing. Make absolutely sure that the wire to the solenoid isn't just broken inside.

• Like 2

Your right and i checked that even went as far as probing the wires right where they go into the solinoid there is no continuity between the wires. But i did end up finding the part i need at napa. The problem i found out is that even tho the regestration says 1986 it is acually an 1985 production year, it makes all the difference since its the last year of the 720 for future information if the production date of your nissan is in the first half of the year do your search for the previous year. The other issue is i found 3 compleatly seperate part numbers for my particular cab (#1-DFP384-7. #2-GV111-20 and #3-

16010-80)

The '85 model year ends about June, so July '85 till the end of the 720 run (around Sept/Oct?)  are '86 trucks although made in '85. The D-21 Hardbody started soon after and can be called an '86 1/2 year truck.

Either way always order parts based on the build date on the door jam. 

The model year is always the year on the under hood emissions sticker.

• Like 1