Introducing my 69 Goon

Well, since I didn't have enough trouble on my hands already, I purchased this little gal a few days ago. Someone on Ratsun said "the time to buy it is when you see it," so that's my excuse.

1969 Wagon with an LZ22 (I was told, but this conflicts with the notes). The head is an A-87 (that's from a L20b, correct? I'll probably have questions about this later). 5 speed transmission.

C085F01A-6A2F-4A5C-A011-436C063FBBE3_zps
9CD646A0-4C15-48BD-9732-B56DAB45FD82_zps
E8F7B10E-CA52-42CF-B2F1-7C530F4D279C_zps

So, probably the most encouraging for me was the availability of the previous owner's notes from 1994-2003. Granted, I bought it directly from someone flipping it, but the original owner had apparently built it up for his wife (or daughter, not entirely clear). I dug around a bit, and turns out his name was Charles Smith, former Datsun 510 club member, recently deceased. Anyone happen to know Charles?

CCAB3B5E-9332-4970-94A8-D647DF5943B5_zps

Now that I've got "Irish twins" so to speak, I'll need to figure out what my master plan is for both.

• Like 4
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the top of the block where it meets the head, directly behind the dip stick handle. If it's an L series engine it will say L16, L18 or L20B. If it does not have the engine size stamped there it's possibly a Z22 block. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. 

I see that it has the original L16 exhaust manifold. But the thermostat by pass and coolant line from the intake has been disconnected and sealed. It will warm up and run better is that were replaced and put in working order. 

The A87 head is more of an L18 head but works just fine on an L20B.

I agree this is weird. I was thrown off by the PO's notes referring to an L20 .40 bore, but I'm also not finding a L20B stamp (I have an L20B in the truck). All I could find was the NISSAN on the passenger's side, plus numbers. I can't find anything on the driver's side, but visibility is nil. I'll try again.

Otherwise, what I've learned so far:

I've got a whiny differential which I need to figure out what to do with. I took it into Ger-Brock and they think it's a pinion bearing.

I opened it up to do a valve adjustment (cold), but someone really torqued on the lock nuts and neither me or my husband could budge them. We went through and checked all of them anyway: a couple are spot on, others are tight (by .05mm). I'm hoping they are movable when the engine is hot.

Finally, it diesels here and there--scared the shit out of me the first couple times since I didn't know what was happening. :blush: I read related posts on dieseling last night, so I understand there's a couple ways of finessing this. As a newbie, I also found this old Popular Mechanics article worthwhile as a general explanation.

Look on the top of the block where it meets the head, directly behind the dip stick handle. If it's an L series engine it will say L16, L18 or L20B. If it does not have the engine size stamped there it's possibly a Z22 block. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here. 

I see that it has the original L16 exhaust manifold. But the thermostat by pass and coolant line from the intake has been disconnected and sealed. It will warm up and run better is that were replaced and put in working order. 

The A87 head is more of an L18 head but works just fine on an L20B.

Ok, had to get a small light in there, but finally found the Z22 stamp on the driver's side of the block.

Thanks for the tip re: the coolant line.