260Z: No brake lights/hazard lights

Hey everybody,

I just got my first Datsun! It's a 1974 260z 2+2 and I'm so stoked on it! Runs really well, the body is in awesome shape, almost all original, and it's so fun to drive, BUT I don't have break lights or hazards. The turn signals work both front and back, the running lights work, side markers, high beams, dash lights, just not the breaks or hazards. I checks the fuses and bulbs then realized that the blinkers run off of the same lights as the breaks. My buddy pulled the brake switch and tried it in his 510 and its working fine. Now I'm not sure what they are called but on the driver’s side by the pedals there are two cylinders, I unplugged both and tried all of the lights. I found out the smaller one towards the top to the right was for the blinkers so I plugged that one back in but left the other one unplugged then tried to mess with everything electrical in the car to see if it affected anything and it didn't. So do any of you think that is the source of my problem? Or anybody have some info on what steps I should go threw to figure this out? Any info helps!

Thanks,

Mark G.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4 way and the turn signal flasher units are the same. (well the 4 way unit may be slightly larger but they do the same thing) If your turn signals work, swap the unit into the 4 way and see if this fixes the problem... then get a new unit.

• Like 1

Okay, so this is kind of funny and kind of annoying. I double checked my fuse box which I haven't in a while sense I had ruled it out because I had replaced most of them that needed it and one was blown and a bunch of them were the wrong amp fuses which O'reily gave me, but it's on me too because I didn't double check. But basically I went threw them and flipped a few to different spots and tried my breaks and hazards and sure enough now they are working, which is awesome. Checking things over again that you already have is smart. I've been stressed for weeks about this and it was a god damn fuse issue haha