DIY window tint a good idea?

My Daughter wants me to install a DIY window tint kit in her Ford Escape for her birthday and I wanted to know if anybody here has done their own with good lasting results? I don't want to spend the time if the results will be disapointing.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about anyone can tint windows, it's fairly easy.

Just don't use one of those autoparts "kits" they are cheap quality. I'm not sure whats going on in the first pic but the 2nd & 3rd pic is more indicative to the quality of tint more than the application. You want to stick with a brand you can trust like 3M, Llumar or SunGard. They will hold up over time & will not lose adhesion (like those two pics) or turn purple from sun fade.

My 18yr old sons first time tinting windows........

IMG_00505.jpg    

IMG_00507.jpg

The flat areas are easy, the problem is stuff that curves both directions. If it is your first time tinting, there is a kit that has 6 inch strips for the back window that you overlap 1/8 of an inch that makes it easy. Just watch a few videos on you tube and remember some of them are professionals so they make it look easy. The key thing is to make sure everything is CLEAN, cause once you put the tint on there, it will show you where it has some grit by having a bunch of micro bubbles. The asteroid belt look on the back window is from using the defroster which should have been disconnected. The bubbles on the side is a puzzle to me, it may be from trying to dry it faster by using a hair dryer. It is best to install it in a garage since when you pull the clear backing, it lets mother nature know it is time for a breeze. When you start to peel the backing, keep it sprayed good with water because it is a static magnet to pull dust to it. You probably will want to have some extra, since when you get done with the last window, you may want to do the first one over (the learning window).

PATIENCE IS KEY, TAKE YOUR TIME

good luck

I just have one word if you are going to do this yourself.

"Cleanliness"

Dust, grit and grime on your windows will make any tint job, regardless of the skill of the tint applicator look like poo.

Ive done a few home tint jobs and its certainly doable. I did cheat however and tinted the glass off car i.e. Pulled the glass out of the doors and the rear screen out and did them that way.

Waaaaaayyyyyyy easier and got a much better finish.

Also, get an uber good quality box cutter and good blades for cutting and trimming your tint.

Did I say make sure the glass is clean ?

Maybe you should buy some really cheap stuff then go down to the junkyard with it and practice on a couple of their cars just to get the hang of it. :-) seriously though, good way to sneak some practice where the results don't actually matter.

• Like 1

Maybe you should buy some really cheap stuff then go down to the junkyard with it and practice on a couple of their cars just to get the hang of it. :-) seriously though, good way to sneak some practice where the results don't actually matter.

This ^^^^^^ is good advice!