Deluxe Door Panel w/metal trim

Question for the 620 guru's.

Anybody out there have any deluxe door panels with chrome trim for a 620? If so, can you share some pics?

I'm trying to figure out if there were multiple styles/patterns offered.

Here's a 521 door panel for reference. You can see both chrome strips running horizontal.

521door2.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 door panels came standard with just the short door cards similar to the one you posted above. In '79 only, AND only on King Cab trucks, did they offer the deluxe door card that came all the way up to the window. The standard card did have some variations in the pattern.

The black door panel above looks to be from a 521 or some other vehicle. The blue ones below are both from a 79 620. One is the stock version that I've seen have a number of patterns. The full panel is the only patten I've seen. All of the ones I've seen so far have have had the same ugly plaid cloth inner panel surrounded by chrome trim (that isn't chrome.) Typically the sun has faded and eaten the cloth away. There were only remnants on mine and I removed them. The chrome trim is plastic tape, not metal. Mine was blistered and peerling and not salvageable, so I peeled it all off. From my observations roaming the junk yards...the full door panel is a 79' option only, just like the inner tailgate panel, the intermittent wipers, and something else I'm forgetting.

Door%20Card_zps5fjzpg9o.jpg

Thanks for the info.

The first pic I posted is a door from a 521.

I have those 521 panels with the metal trim as well as the 620 with the same metal trim. Most people I talk to with 620's didn't even know they existed like that. I received mine out of Japan.

This is the chrome metal trim I'm talking about.

JDM only?

60B481FB-E81B-4A33-9ADF-9B4707FA3663.jpg

• Like 1

From my observations roaming the junk yards...the full door panel is a 79' option only, just like the inner tailgate panel, the intermittent wipers, and something else I'm forgetting.

Hey Seeker,

When you say inner tailgate panel, are you referring to something like this?

7E034DB0-15F1-47DF-8237-4E3B9029DC4C_zps

This is my 77 KC tailgate. The panel was an option in 77 according to the PO of my truck. He says he installed it in 77.

Just curious. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Hey Seeker,

When you say inner tailgate panel, are you referring to something like this?

7E034DB0-15F1-47DF-8237-4E3B9029DC4C_zps

This is my 77 KC tailgate. The panel was an option in 77 according to the PO of my truck. He says he installed it in 77.

Just curious. Sorry to hijack the thread.

These were a KC only option. 

...the full door panel is a 79' option only, just like the inner tailgate panel, the intermittent wipers, and something else I'm forgetting.

'79 KC only option. You will not find the deluxe door panels on a standard cab truck. Another '79 KC only option was the A pillar vinyl. Standard issue was no yinyl fron the head liner to dash. 

Yes, that is the panel I mean.

It could have been something he ordered and installed himself. I doubt it came on the truck from the factory originally in 77. You could order a vehicle back in the 70's, but it would take 3-6 months or more to get from Japan. Most cars came with what they had on them. Dealers would buy local options and install them as "dealer options" which meant not factory. That included side molding, camper shells, mirrors, radios, antennaes, bumpers, fiberglass spoilers, and probably some I forget.

I've found folks tell me things, and I would really like to take their word for it, but then later I find out what they said may be urban myth, or desire for theirs to be original, or it was wrong altogether. Now I look for documentation mentioning the item in text or showing a picture for proof, like the owners manual, the service manual, or a sales brocure. I've seen vehicles in sale brochures that people think are Nissan flyers but are actually local dealer printed fliers with add on accessories.

My logic...I've found some of the 79 options and general optional differences listed in the 79 Nissan Service Manuals, but not in the previous 77, 78, 79,'s So in that case by process of elimintation I group them in my lists as a 79 option, until I can find something to tell me otherwise. I looked for the tailgate panel pics in the prev manuals but didn't find one,  but I believe I found found a pic of it in the 79. (I'm at work and can't verify it at this posting. )

I just can't believe they would have made a bowl shaped tail gate for all the earlier year models. It is really hard to sit in, load bikes, or slide heavy loads over without it catching or falling in.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the panel I mean.

It could have been something he ordered and installed himself. I doubt it came on the truck from the factory originally in 77. You could order a vehicle back in the 70's, but it would take 3-6 months or more to get from Japan. Most cars came with what they had on them. Dealers would buy local options and install them as "dealer options" which meant not factory. That included side molding, camper shells, mirrors, radios, antennaes, bumpers, fiberglass spoilers, and probably some I forget.

I've found folks tell me things, and I would really like to take their word for it, but then later I find out what they said may be urban myth, or desire for theirs to be original, or it was wrong altogether. Now I look for documentation mentioning the item in text or showing a picture for proof, like the owners manual, the service manual, or a sales brocure. I've seen vehicles in sale brochures that people think are Nissan flyers but are actually local dealer printed fliers with add on accessories.

My logic...I've found some of the 79 options and general optional differences listed in the 79 Nissan Service Manuals, but not in the previous 77, 78, 79,'s So in that case by process of elimintation I group them in my lists as a 79 option, until I can find something to tell me otherwise. I looked for the tailgate panel pics in the prev manuals but didn't find one,  but I believe I found found a pic of it in the 79. (I'm at work and can't verify it at this posting. )

I just can't believe they would have made a bowl shaped tail gate for all the earlier year models. It is really hard to sit in, load bikes, or slide heavy loads over without it catching or falling in.

Thanks for replying. In some cases, I agree that you hear a lot of stuff that is untrue. But the owner of my truck was working as the Parts Manager of Datsun World in Maine when he bought this truck and he says he installed the tach and tailgate protector on Day one. He replied in the thread on my truck if you care to read it. I believe it on this one.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64058-barn-find-yes-a-true-barn-find-1977-datsun-620-king-cab/?hl=%20barn%20%20find

He substantiates your statements exactly. Thanks! (Love the posting by the way. Just an incredible story and experience! You are a fortunate man.) Being a parts manager he was probably one of the few people that knew those options existed.

I worked at the first 2nd Datsun Dealer in So. Cal. in the mid 70's and it was one of the first multi-brand auto "malls" in the US. It was also one if the biggest Datsun dealers on the west coast, owned by Joe Vittone of Volkswagon EMPI fame.

Parts counters at most US and asian dealerships in those days were typically just a grungy greasy counter in their warehouse someplace. Optional items were not put on the wall or fancy display cases then as they are today. Those were typically only listed on a brochure, had to be ordered,  and most people didn't spend lavislhly on cars like people do today.  I'm guessing your trucks PO (aka Parts Manager) ordered those options ahead and had them ready to install when he had his truck picked out.

Since I've gotten back into Dats 30 years later I've never seen that inside tailgate panel on anyting except a 79. Thanks for helping me document my list of General KC options vs. 1979 only.

He substantiates your statements exactly. Thanks! (Love the posting by the way. Just an incredible story and experience! You are a fortunate man.) Being a parts manager he was probably one of the few people that knew those options existed.

I worked at the first 2nd Datsun Dealer in So. Cal. in the mid 70's and it was one of the first multi-brand auto "malls" in the US. It was also one if the biggest Datsun dealers on the west coast, owned by Joe Vittone of Volkswagon EMPI fame.

Parts counters at most US and asian dealerships in those days were typically just a grungy greasy counter in their warehouse someplace. Optional items were not put on the wall or fancy display cases then as they are today. Those were typically only listed on a brochure, had to be ordered,  and most people didn't spend lavislhly on cars like people do today.  I'm guessing your trucks PO (aka Parts Manager) ordered those options ahead and had them ready to install when he had his truck picked out.

Since I've gotten back into Dats 30 years later I've never seen that inside tailgate panel on anyting except a 79. Thanks for helping me document my list of General KC options vs. 1979 only.

Thanks. Yes, very fortunate. Glad I can help add to your list.

Yeah, pricey.

There was a regular pair that sold for $220 on 4/11. I based my price of that and the ones Dett was selling at 4 bills a couple years back.

I won't be making it to canby. I'd like to go one of these years though. Looks like fun.....

Hey Quick 510,

I just bought a 620 KC with a seized motor for parts

, Door TAG SAYS

MFG 8/78

Date stamped above that says 11/78

AZ Title says it was first sold as 79, and was registered as 79

Guess what is attached to inside of tailgate?

The same inner panel we were discussing, ditto'ing your PO's statement it was a KC option, not a 79 only opyion

Hey Quick 510,

I just bought a 620 KC with a seized motor for parts

, Door TAG SAYS

MFG 8/78

Date stamped above that says 11/78

AZ Title says it was first sold as 79, and was registered as 79

Guess what is attached to inside of tailgate?

The same inner panel we were discussing, ditto'ing your PO's statement it was a KC option, not a 79 only opyion

8/78 could have been an early 79. Does it have chrome trim around the windows?