Front Wheel Bearing Options. Let put it to rest.

oldskoolvws

As it's all about helping the community, thought I'd bring this up and hopefully close the confusion around our inner bearing options.

Outer bearing, simple: 40215-P0100 for use with 320, 520, 521 and 620.

Alright, so much discussion and assistance needed in finding the front inner wheel bearing for 520 and 521 trucks (and 320's). There are currently a few options. Wheel bearings are recommended to be repacked every 12 months or 36,000 miles. BEFORE PURCHASING BEARINGS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK or you might wind up with a paperweight.

There is discussion that floats around that references you need to have a bearing that is 32KB02, not 32KB02/11B. This statement is accurate to some degree. It is accurate because this number crosses in interchange to other bearings of the exact specifications, however they are marked differently. Only the 32KB02 crosses to the 320/520/521 family as a direct fit. The 32KB02/11B references the 620 line.

The original 521 inner bearing (40211-32200) is near impossible to find. If you do, they tend to run in the $200 range or so. This is a NACHI, but you can clearly see the part number on the box matches the NISSAN OEM part number.

M58hVe.jpg

The mklotz spacer and 620 inner bearing (40210-73000) which is still readily available. This is no means meant to disturb mklotz business model and I will not reveal any "other" information until I get acknowledgement from mklotz that he's good with it. Anyway, mklotz kit requires the removal of the original spacer bushing on the spindle of the 521. The spacer is installed, then you utilize the 620 inner bearing that has the spacer that was removed integrated into the bearing itself. However it is slightly too short, hence mklotz spacer setup that pushes it out just right. Here's mklotz thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30875-320520521-inner-bearing-spacer/

A6TNMV.jpg

Now what are our other options? I've had good success so far running numbers and cross references that I found cross reference to the original OEM number. It is extremely helpful if you know your way around the interchange system. Keep in mind, wheel bearings are not only used as wheel bearings. They are used in transmissions, drive trains and heavy machinery such as forklifts. Many are rated at 12,000RPM (revolutions per minute); if you were doing 200mph with 16"x8" wheels, that would equal roughly 2168RPM. There are many reputable bearing manufacturers that cross over the the original bearings such as SKF, FAG, NACHI, KOYO, etc. The key is understanding what the bearing was designed for because although it fits, the application may be all wrong.

Below is an example of a cross referenced cut sheet of a FAG bearing that is readily available on ebay and Amazon. This is supposed to be a direct fit. When I get home tonight, I will measure this against the OEM bearings to see how off they are if any, or are they indeed an exact fit but based on the specification from the FSM, I think it is correct for a tight fit. Again, make sure it is the correct application. There should be the obligatory statement of some sort like this "This tapered roller bearing is for use in high-load, moderate-speed applications that include automotive axle systems and conveyor systems in heavy duty industries such as mining, construction and agriculture, among others."

6LYXRB.pngRACWsU.png

AmDY8C.png

Below is another picture for reference of all bearings of concern. Bottom is OEM, middle is cross referenced and top is 620.

U7NnDO.jpg

More to come.

• Like 4
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, here we go. My disclaimer is I'm doing this for me. Your results may differ. Don't blame me for your decisions unless they work :)

And these are rough measurements okay?! I didn't feel like breaking out the micrometers and snap gauges. But they vary manufacturer by manufacturer but the final assembly should equal the OEM spec.

OEM bearing removed from my hubs. As far as I can tell, original set. 40211-32200 NSK 32KB02

UrliRu.jpg

awUObq.jpg

R6Xo2y.jpg

mklotz 620 option. 40210-73000 KOYO 32KB02/11B

ong5kY.jpg

32mFqT.jpg

rHZi0v.jpg

The 620 race for reference.
SiQOvd.jpg

mWNCYo.jpg

Cross referenced (CR) bearing from a brand you probably won't know. But alas, open the box and...NACHI 32KB02

WGzr2I.jpg

9VGDvs.jpg

iKDp6u.jpg

1ULn3u.jpg

Here is the spindle and an example of how the bearings would sit on the spindle.  I didn't slide the NACHI on because of how tight is is. I slipped it part ways on and it kicked my ass trying to get it back off. Just needs a good warm up and it will slip right on. Whats weird on the original 521 and the 620 bearings, I had to index them on ( the black sharpie). It would only slip fit at this position. Any other position is press fit tight.

QJVpYE.jpg

OEM (simulated spacer outset)

qZM4oe.jpg

U3w8j3.jpg

620 with mklotz spacer.

ik5nSg.jpg

YIYNak.jpg

CR Bearing. Again did not want to push the press fit on, but it will fit.

rkFXcr.jpg

qJYlDW.jpg

So far, so good. The CR bearing fits. So now what? Where can I find them? Well I'm going to research another bearing, investigate it, order it and see. I'll see if I can find another brand other than what's already here.

Back to this soon! This is why they call me the Mad Scientist LOL. I like figuring this stuff out.

• Like 3

There was tons of info on this on NWDE from the couple of hundred hours I spent trying to cross them and find them.  I didn't have any luck, so I created the option.  If you can find a source for them, that would be awesome!!  If not...I still have the washers. lol :)

HR302/32 was the only sub I found.  It's a heavy duty version, but after buying a couple of those, they couldn't locate anymore.  I had bearing houses searching the country for them.  The last set I bought through a bearing house was a set they found on the east coast and it was the last.  I'm sure there will be more coming out of the far east as they start dumping their stock piles of old parts. 

The CAD drawing above is a bearing that has too big of an ID and too big of an OD.  The bearing adapters I make for the brake kits adapts the ID of the disc hub's bearings.....and since the hub is changed as well, the bearing fits the hub. 

IIRC.....the 32mm was the killer on the ID.....hardly any options out there.  Bigger is easy to adapt.....smaller means turning the spindle size down.  There's not enough room to run a bigger OD and cut metal from the hub.....and if the OD is smaller, the hub would have to be sleeved.  There's ways to make stuff work.....my goal was to find something that didn't require machine work. 

Anyway.....I spent a major amount of time on this subject years ago......but it was close to 10 years ago......so maybe there's more info and better cross references now.  I hope something is found.  It's not stepping on my toes in any manner if the washer/spacers become obsolete. :)

So.....oldskool......to answer your pm......I'm okay with this :) !!!  Good luck!!  You did a great job with the MG parts for the fulcrum pin seals..........hopefully, this will work out for you too. :)

• Like 3

POST #2 UPDATED.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66345-front-wheel-bearing-options-let-put-it-to-rest/?do=findComment&comment=1247441

There was tons of info on this on NWDE from the couple of hundred hours I spent trying to cross them and find them.  I didn't have any luck, so I created the option.  If you can find a source for them, that would be awesome!!  If not...I still have the washers. lol :)

HR302/32 was the only sub I found.  It's a heavy duty version, but after buying a couple of those, they couldn't locate anymore.  I had bearing houses searching the country for them.  The last set I bought through a bearing house was a set they found on the east coast and it was the last.  I'm sure there will be more coming out of the far east as they start dumping their stock piles of old parts. 

The CAD drawing above is a bearing that has too big of an ID and too big of an OD.  The bearing adapters I make for the brake kits adapts the ID of the disc hub's bearings.....and since the hub is changed as well, the bearing fits the hub. 

IIRC.....the 32mm was the killer on the ID.....hardly any options out there.  Bigger is easy to adapt.....smaller means turning the spindle size down.  There's not enough room to run a bigger OD and cut metal from the hub.....and if the OD is smaller, the hub would have to be sleeved.  There's ways to make stuff work.....my goal was to find something that didn't require machine work. 

Anyway.....I spent a major amount of time on this subject years ago......but it was close to 10 years ago......so maybe there's more info and better cross references now.  I hope something is found.  It's not stepping on my toes in any manner if the washer/spacers become obsolete. :)

So.....oldskool......to answer your pm......I'm okay with this :) !!!  Good luck!!  You did a great job with the MG parts for the fulcrum pin seals..........hopefully, this will work out for you too. :)

Yeah Mike, the more I look, the more hardship I see. But I'm going to problem solve the hell out of it because if I don't, it will bug me. If i fail, at least I know I tried.

I took my bearing to Mvgwire bearing in Tacoma and the 32mm dimension was the killer. Nothing made in that size because it's special to that application.

Yeah, I'm not really looking for anything made now. I'm more looking for common inventory from the era that's probably been sitting on parts store shelves for years or common to the uncommon.

• Like 2

If you can find a 65mm OD option that has a bigger ID, a sleeve can be made like I do for the brake kits.  The HB bearings are slightly bigger on the OD if I remember right.  On the first brake setup I did, I staked the ID of the hub to center the slightly smaller stock bearing(32kb02) and loctited it in.  It's really close. 

Good luck.  I exhausted every option I could come up with, but there may be more now.  Boxboy had a suppier at one point....might see if you can get in touch with him to see who it was.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...