She's alive! Got the 70 510 running today. First trip around the field.

Bought the 510 late last summer and didn't have time to do anything with it. It had sat for 20+ years. In the past couple weeks I replaced all fuel lines, brake lines, coolant hoses, water pump, wheel cylinders, rebuilt the calipers, new shoes/pads, fuel pump, etc.

I started it today but the carb was not in good shape. I had to keep it chocked pretty heavy. For trial purposes I swapped the Hitachi w/ another I had sitting in a box. It worked well enough to run it around the field. Now I have to pop the weber on it (not sure what I'll run into with that yet.). I also have some shocks to throw on the back today.

Then I have to make some decisions on wheels/tires.

20150502_123611_zpsuue8vvu0.jpg

20150502_123628_zpsnvc1oaqe.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's pretty clean and solid. The previous owner had it sitting in a barn out of the weather for those 20 yrs.

if your going to let them sit 

in a barn or garage is the best place 

looking good keep up the good work 

• Like 1

I have to figure out rims/tires. I posted some of my ideas the other day in the wheels/tires forum. I have some Iron Cross Z wheels (14") but I'm not sure about them. They are aluminum and I need to clean/polish them. I also had some Enkies. I posted a pic and I like them a lot. But, somehow (via my boys and their trading) one of their friends ended up w/ 2 of them. So, he's trying to track them down. I would be interested to know if any other ratsuners have a full set similar to the enkies for sale.

I'll probably be looking at Canby.

I got the weber in. I got the choke hooked up. It starts and idles good. Now I have to figure out how to hook the 510 accelerator linkage up to the weber. And I'm sure it needs adjusted a bit.

Heart-sinking/pain-in-the-gut feeling this morning. I put the weber on yesterday and she started and idled nice. I have to figure out linkage (which I have posted in another post on the topic.). When I got back to it this morning I turned the motor over to hear a horrible clunking, rod-bearing sound. I thought my day might be spent pulling the motor out and dropping in the 30k mile Lb20 sitting in the garage. But, after removing the valve cover, I discovered I had two intake valves that were sticking down. When they did pop up it klunked pretty loud. After pounding them down and letting them pop up along with some lubricant many times, they now seem to work fine. Put the valve cover on and started it and it sounds so sweet and smooth. Scared me for a bit though.

• Like 1

After changing the tranny and rear end fluids, I ran it about 3 miles down the road and back. Wow, it is so different than my 521. Obviously it sits lower and the steering wheel is higher. But it handles completely different and I was doing 70 when I shifted into 4th. Unfortunately, the road was not straight so I wasn't able to accelerate while in 4th.

This is going to be a fun little car.

I still have to tweak with brakes/clutch and replace the last heater hose or two. She may just make it to canby. Not sure yet because I would love to bring the 1960. We'll see.