b210 tune up priority's

Hello all simon here looking for some advise on tune up purchasing.... but first I would like you mention that I posted a classified ad some time back in the attempt to sell off parts from parts car and was never able to follow through with getting anyone parts and sadly had to scrap but I took off pretty much everything I could in the short time I had and it's all in my attic now... but I didn't get big stuff like doors or hood or fender so that's a shame but I do still have both kinds of ac.... but anyhow on to the topic at hand. I got the clone running with electronic ignition ,weber 32/36, fuel system cleaned and just got weber tune up kit and new electric choke(not installed yet) and new plug wires. My question is since it runs now should I tune it with what I got or go ahead and get new distributor cap and rotor as mine works but shows corrosion also my ported vacume switch is broke off. So that's it get new parts then tune or if it ain't all the way broke don't fix it? As I'm short on cash and really need to insure it so I can tag and title... but why do that if it runs like crud.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the parts might as well put them on. Clean the cap and rotor but be prepared to replace. Ported vacuum switch? This must be the one that is a leak when cold, which removes the vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Once the engine warms, the leak closes and full vacuum is passed. (it reduces emissions when the engine is cold). If broken be sure to by-pass it and connect directly to the distributor. This will give proper advance at all times which is much more preferable to none.

Simon, welcome to the forum.

Yes I have vacuum going strait to vac advance on dist. So that's fine. And I'll put all new webber and choke goodies and plug wires on. Can you remind me what size feeler gauge to adjust valves and maybe a little timing info as right now it takes long time to start.. I know the basics but if any one has some pointers I should know... also oil to use is for diesel right cause I got some things stuff in now and I think I'm leaking a Lil at rear main seal that looked good when I put clutch in. And I'll post pics soon from photo bucket right?

Off hand I don't know the valve clearances or timing. Someone will...

Chevron Delo 400 or Shell RotellaT in 15w40 will provide a good ZDDP level.

The rear part of the oil pan gasket may be leaking. Even the valve cover gasket can leak down the back side of the engine.