Ratwagons rusty new sedan resurection (Binky inspired)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im way too critical of myself sometimes, especially when I have the faptastic repro panels to benchmark against, anyway............

Todays on again and off again project has been to start repairing the radiator support panel from the donor shell.

Ive started by removing the bottom sheet metal, and crafting a new lower piece which ill probably start tack welding on tomorrow (its almost beer time here, bullshit, ive already downed two beers, anyway..................).

Oics dont do the work justice IMLTHO, however, Im pleased with the mockup fit of the repair piece, and given the donor panel, and the shell are both a bit awry, this should come together nicely, particularly after being belted a few times with the trusty 9lb FBH.

truth be known, this is the first bit of repair work ive done on this shell which says to me repair it and dont scrap it, anyway, beer is a calling :)

P5150001_zpstod9xuuq.jpg

P5150002_zpsl3uqhxw6.jpg

• Like 1

Lower section of radiator support panel has been tack welded to the main section and is now awaiting some more grinding, a liitle bit of welding and some good ole fashioned lead wiping to finish this part of the repair.

P5190010_zpsyhwr8fbc.jpg

RHS rust repair section has been hand made, using some Binky inspired CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and is now ready for grafting to the radiator support.

P5190009_zpsnridemt5.jpg

P5190011_zpstssnkkth.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys !

Its a shame the radiator support looks so shitty in the photo as its much better in real life.

Looking forward to getting some paint on it.

Have to teach myself to lead wipe first though.

Pure dedication to bring one back. Props to you!

Some fine metalwork happening in here :thumbup:

• Like 3

Get the metal as clean as you possibly can before you tin it.  When it's tinned properly, the lead nearly goes on by itself :) 

(Well, not quite, but it really helps!)

Have to teach myself to lead wipe first though.  

Get the metal as clean as you possibly can before you tin it.  When it's tinned properly, the lead nearly goes on by itself :) 

(Well, not quite, but it really helps!)

Thanks, this certainly ties in with what ive read so far.

Im going t complete all the repairs on the support before commencing the lead wiping.

First ill practice on the abortion of a spare quarter panel I have (at least its clean after the paint stripper I wasted on it)

Thanks mark. I've ordered sticks and tinning paste from an Aussie supplier, which ill hopefully have tomorrow.

As usual with stuff like this down here, not cheap, but, I need/want it.

Pics of course will be posted soon!

So........ its been a slow couple of days with a sick Labrador to look after and getting ready to start a new job next week, and formlising some of my previous studies blah blah blah, anyway, I have had some time to finish the repairs on the left hand side of the radiator support, start on the right hand side, and I picked up my lead wiping supplies today.

Roughly a two kilos of lead sticks and sufficient tinning paste to get me started.

As usual, the repair looks much better in real life.

Ive prepped the left side of the panel and hopefully will do some practice repairs on the dodgy quarter panel I previously stripped.

Probably have my first go at "leading" the radiator support tomnorrow.

P1030070_zpsfi17ofqu.jpg

• Like 3

As usual, my ADD has kicked in (again) :w00t:, so no work on the radiator support yesterday.

Despite having a very good pair of guards stashed away, I grabbed one of the guards from the new shell and thought id start straightening it, ready for the spares stash.

A bit of careful massaging with the pleneshing hammer and a palm dolly and its slowly coming back to shape, the front being fairly bent up before I started.

Need to get in under the front lip to bring this section up.  Fortunately, all the basic lines on this guard are pretty good.

P1030071_zpszcalwapj.jpg

P1030072_zps9byaxqd9.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...