Ratwagons rusty new sedan resurection (Binky inspired)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for the supportive comments !!

Checked out the front cut a mate has this afternoon.  Thankfully, it has some of the sheet metal I need and a reasonable piece of inner guard I can graft onto the shell.

Cut part of the rail off a short time ago, interestingly (though not surprising)  the inner guard at the front dropped by a couple of millimeters.

The crease line can be clearly seen in the photo.

P1030047_zpsbulcjqje.jpg

• Like 1

So hammer that bit back into shape or cut it off too?

It gets belted back into shape as the donor piece is rusted at the very top part of the rail, but ok on the lower section.

Oics later today when I pick it up will explain.

Got the other front cut home.

Once again the Datsun gods are punishing me with rust :(

The radiator suppport is straighter than the other two I have though theres significant rust ion the lower edges.  Shouldnt be too hard to graft a piece of fresh metal on there and make it all pretty.  The rest of it just has minor surface rust.

P1030050_zpskimwnqrh.jpg

P1030053_zpsxdiqlqe5.jpg

Inner guard is rusted at the top where it welds to the rail.

Despite a bit of a hack job someone did removing the battery tray, this piece should also be able to be cut out, added to, and grafted to the other shell.

P1030051_zpsheem6so2.jpg

Oh well, someone has to do this I suppose.

• Like 1

Sooooooooo, whats on order I hear you ask?

LH, and RH rear quarter panels (and inner sections)

Rear taillight panel

Rear beaver/Valance

LH and RH complete sill sections

Front valance

Still debating whether to save this shell, or search for another, either way the prospect of having new panels, and the markedly reduced time involved in repairing the others, well......

• Like 1

www.allmusclecarparts.com.au

Yeh, its a lot of bits, but, no matter what shell I restore, im sick to fucking death of trying to repair old sheet metal.

Have some savings stashed away at the moment so may as well buy the nice bits whilst I can afford them.

• Like 1

www.allmusclecarparts.com.au

Yeh, its a lot of bits, but, no matter what shell I restore, im sick to fucking death of trying to repair old sheet metal.

Have some savings stashed away at the moment so may as well buy the nice bits whilst I can afford them.

OMFG!!

This is the best web page since interwebs was invented!!!!

I can now get what I have been needing!!

• Like 1

OMFG!!

This is the best web page since interwebs was invented!!!!

I can now get what I have been needing!!

The quality of the panels is A1, might as well class them as NOS.

Had a good talk with the salesman yesterday.

On the way, though unfortunately no firm delivery date yet are front door skins, complete floor section (he has to confirm individual pans) and radiator support panels.

Ultimately, he said if there is enough demand, its feasable the Taiwanese will do the tooling for boot floors, boot lids, and probably the scuttle section below the rear windscreen (he's also chasing them for the boot rubber channel replacement).

Bloody exciting times if you have an old beater you want to do a good quality resto on.

The sill panels themselves are a work of art. I thought about bending my own but when I looked at the multiple angles, recesses etc on the repro ones Im glad I went with them. As previously stated, quality is A1.

Also looked at their interior trim repro parts as well as taillights. Quality as good as the panels.

Sadly for me, no radiator support panel yet so I have to repair the yellow one in a previous post :(

• Like 3

The core support is pretty easy to repair since a large majority is flat metal. Got a bead roller?

I sent off an email to Muscle Car Parts to see if they will be doing Floors for the 1200 stuff. No response yet.

No bead roller, will either make or invest in one (I start on my Ratsun inspired folder today once Ive seen Fury Road).

Theres a bucketload of stuff available for the 1200's, though dont remember seeing any floors.

• Like 1

I have their front valence panel and it is very nice.  Good quality repro, and it fit with zero problems.

AND, we're keepin' it Aussie! :thumbup:

The quality of the panels is A1, might as well class them as NOS.

• Like 1

I tried going to the Musclecargt.com website and couldn't seem to access the online catalog or get the pdf file to download. Am I missing something or is there a problem with their site or do they have to email the catalog to me? I'm sofa king cornfuzed :confused:

• Like 1

I tried going to the Musclecargt.com website and couldn't seem to access the online catalog or get the pdf file to download. Am I missing something or is there a problem with their site or do they have to email the catalog to me? I'm sofa king cornfuzed :confused:

http://www.allmusclecarparts.com.au/webshop/index.php/datsun.html

But you can order the same stuff stateside with a heck of a lot less shipping at:

http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=66

• Like 2