Ratwagons rusty new sedan resurection (Binky inspired)

What a day.

10 hour round trip to pick up the new shell.

More rust than I would have liked, and despite seeing pics the PO neglected to tell me about some issues including the fact the car has had a hit on the R/H front side.

Torrential rain where I picked it up and coupled with a long drive and a slight headache (beers last night) wasnt going to say no to the purchase.

Everythings repairable. Worst case scenario is drivers side will need a complete rear quarter panel. Fortunately these are now available.

Lots of small to medium rust repairs but nothing insurmountable, just need to tackle them one at a time.

Pics tomorrow sorry ladies, still too much to do.

• Like 4
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really guys, this isnt insomniacs.

Spent a couple of hours today starting to drill off the front radiator support panel and cutting out some rust sections.

Im almost at the stage of considering whether I go ahead with this one or scrap it as a project.

After pressure washing the car, and viewing it in dry weather, theres a lot! more rust than I first anticipated. Should have spent more time inspecting the shell, but, didnt. Thankfully if I do scrap it theres some really good bits and pieces (the rear seat is almost perfect) to strip off it and I didnt pay a lot for the shell so I should break even.

Yes, no pics (yet). Off to the shops today to buy a lead to plug my camera into the computer.

Really guys, this isnt insomniacs......

......Yes, no pics (yet). Off to the shops today to buy a lead to plug my camera into the computer.

Good enough for me, should be good enough for everyone else.

It's Monday there mate stores are open already. It's 1130 as of this post. Just kidding just kidding.

0817 in RW's little part of downunder.

Sheesh, bloody impatient lot!

Just been watching project Binky for some inspiration.

Fuck knows ill need it if I keep this shell.

• Like 1

Project binky is awesome. I heard about it in here and ended up watching every video that night. Those guys are funny and that one piece firewall is a freaking work of art.

Oh yeah, and PICS! :-)

HELLZ YEAH!!! RIGHT HAND DRIVE! FTW :thumbup: Awesome score, I've worked on worse. You can save it. :ninja:

Thank you, this is what I need to hear * 10.

Radiator support is almost off.

Im so torn about scrapping this at the moment but the Datsun gods are screaming at me to save it!

• Like 3

Yuk!

P1030031_zpssc0sxayq.jpg

P1030032_zpsa4sfiauf.jpg

Time to finish consuming my six pack of Aussie beer goodness (Coopers sparkling ale 5.8 %) and contemplate my next move.

Even my poor old best mate and confidante (Toby the labrador) isnt impressed.

• Like 2

Sheet metal I have plenty of, and boy am I going to need it !

Deciding whether to try and repair the inner guard or do a cutout and replace.

Im looking at a front cut today which a mate has which may have the section I need.

Failing that its hammer and dolly time.

Funny you mention the GT4 as for a fleeting moment this almost became a frankenstein rebuild, then common sense came back into play.

The radiator support panel is pretty banged up but after looking behind the shed yesterday I found a spare 2nd hand one I forgot I had. It may go on the car if I decide the other one is too hard to repair.

• Like 1

What about a pulsar gti?

Yeh, nice idea but Datsun gods are saying fix this bad boy and make it live again as a nice streeter, albeit with an L series.

Found my Ratsun slide hammer I built a while ago.  About to put it to use.

P1030033_zpspnvdeeuw.jpg

• Like 1

The downside to both of those in a 510 is that they are front wheel biased awd systems. They are great, but IMO they just lean toward the wrong tires for a rwd car.