Super head work ,show some vintage heads

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Straylia!

Represent.

Theres another Lunatic down here called "Munyard" (google "munyard datsun heads" if you get bored) who has done similar work and obtained some frightfully impressive results from the humble L series head.

.Super headwork -just wow ! I hope is not repost I will post my welded up thing later !

https://racemagazine.com.au/cars/incredible-datsun-cylinder-head-redesign#more-13007

Sorry, got dibs on it.....  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66247-l-head-modifications/

Here is another vintage Datsun L-series head. This is an NOS Datsun Comp Cylinder head. These were factory castings, sent to independent shops for modification and sold thru Datsun Dealers to racers and performance interested customers.

P10100252.JPG

Close-up of #1 & 2 intake ports. Slover's Porting Service was hired by the Datsun Comp to modify this head.

P1010026.JPG

Reworked combustion chambers and oversize valves used on the head.

P10100271.JPG

Close-up of the modified combustion chamber with oversize valves. 44mm (1.73") intake & 35mm (1.38") exhaust.P10100281.JPG

Here is the end of the box the head came in. The 9/6 D1161 in marker is shorthand for Comp part # 9666-D1161, which is the fully ported race head sold by Datsun Comp, back in the day.

P10100312.JPG

This is the top of the box, complete with the shipping label and Datsun Master Parts Depot labeling.

P10100322.JPG

• Like 1

This U67 was sold to me as a Slovers port job also , but look at valve guides mine was ported without guides in it . Also has some bigger valves ,I can't find any shop markings , was a rad head ,needs the open chamber to clear , 87mm L18 with pop up Venolia pistons ,head has broken stud in it , I gave up---- needs a machine shop to remove . Will dig up D. port thing nexttime in container . I wish I could put together a track only race gas motor , maybe for the car I am working on , but no funds for that at this time.100_3026.jpg100_3027.jpg100_3025.jpg

Here is another vintage Datsun L-series head. This is an NOS Datsun Comp Cylinder head. These were factory castings, sent to independent shops for modification and sold thru Datsun Dealers to racers and performance interested customers.

P10100252.JPG

Close-up of #1 & 2 intake ports. Slover's Porting Service was hired by the Datsun Comp to modify this head.[/size]

P1010026.JPG[/size]

R[/size]eworked combustion chambers and oversize valves used on the head.[/size]

P10100271.JPG[/size]

Close-up of the modified combustion chamber with oversize valves. 44mm (1.73") intake & 35mm (1.38") exhaust.[/size]P10100281.JPG

Here is the end of the box the head came in. The 9/6 D1161 in marker is shorthand for Comp part # 9666-D1161, which is the fully ported race head sold by Datsun Comp, back in the day.[/size]

P10100312.JPG[/size]

This is the top of the box, complete with the shipping label and Datsun Master Parts Depot labeling.

P10100322.JPG

Interesting that there w53 castings.

The w53 casting came on later L16 engines in Australia and they have tiny ports, I have a couple and they even have those little valleys cast into the bottom of the inlet ports( the ports in those pics have obviously been enlarged but you can still make out the little valleys in the bottom of the ports.)

Was there another w53 head cast with larger ports??

I will dig up cam specs .Scooter.

Here is a true funny story .Ok here is a favorite A87 fresh from machine shop medium ports , when I take heads in and cam spins freely I do not want surface of head or top surface taken at all , so I say leave it ! and the machinist and shop owner turn on Spanish switch , and they were saying cheap wheto ect and I esplane , and I say why take material away and devalue my near perfect head throw cam timing off , , so they do what I say and you see in pic no milling ! or a swipe maybe. 100_3036.jpg]

• 2 years later...

Hm, I'll have to dig out my NOS A87, closed chamber head, and snap a few pictures.

(Datsun Comp p/n 11041-U0606SV)

Maybe even the 219 race head I got out of Japan with welded & modified chambers.

Bring some life back to this thread  :)