73 240z stock points wiring.

Hello all, I need some dizzy help. I'm trying to put this car back together and get it running again, but I get no spark. Was wondering if anyone could help me with the wires? I have 4 wires, 2 b/w, one g/w, and another solid black. Up by the temp sensor, there's another solid black wire. The solid black up high has 12v with the key, and so does one of the b/w. Any help would be awesome.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I hooked everything up just as was said above, and still no spark. Coil tested good within ohm range. I was looking at my wires, the b/w I have one says it's negative, but has a constant 12 volts, as well as the block ground wire. Can anyone post a picture? That'd help a bit.

on 510s the blk wht strip wire will be the 12volt key on.

this will go the the ballast resisitor then a blk/grn come out of reisitor and goes to the +12volt coil

the blk/blu is the START wire(bypass) and will go to the + side coil.

so You go the jist of it. I you want to try it out pull the starter wire on selinoid

Now go to the coil area and test the wires with On and Start and you can put it in the correct spot.

If you have a Z car that has 3 wire on ballast as I have seen then I dont have a clue.

make sure the dist is working also with the points and condensor as the the points closed will charge the coil then open it will fire . So put a meter on the case of the dizzy and the trigger wire comming out and as you spin the dist the meter will move. show a short or however you scal ethe meter

Hmmm. With early 240z's from what I can tell, a blackwhite wire is 12v power, and then a blackwhite connects to a greenwhite at the tach, which leads to the ballast resistor. From there I dont know how to tell which black white wire connects to the ballast resistor, or which side of the ballast resistor.

measure which wire gets 12volts in START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have 2 wires that get 12volts then 1 goes to the +side coil the other goes to the ballast has they are shorted together.(remove the starter wire to starter don't work)

this was mention above but my Hawaiian Ebonics might be hard to understand

all else fails get a Haynes manual or ck a z car site for a drwg