My 66' 411 Project

You have to put a collar on after the bearing goes on ( differential side ) ,,, it is a press fit but you can get it to seat with a pipe that's long enough..

You should also always replace the seal that goes inside the rearend on the ends,, it keeps gear oil from washing out the grease in bearing .

This collar

cgi-lib.13606.1.jpg

http://www.datsunparts.com/Rear-Axle

Partnumber: 1570

There are other places to buy collar i just used this site for reference.

• Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made welded up a jerry rigged collar wacker type deal when i did mine . Picture also shows how collar sits

IMG_2625_zpsjy2evw3n.jpg

On this and previous page there is a couple more oics,,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/67348-your-moms-aunt-flos-411/page-11

• Like 2

The pinion bearings are inside the differential and are not related the the axles.

What you need are the rear wheel bearings and they should come with a brand new locking collar.

I think someone may have done the bearing previously and left off that collar because it's a bit of a pain in the ass to install as Naners pictures show, but it' keeps the axle in the housing so not a good idea in the long run as you've discovered.   :)

Just for educational purposes..this is not a datsun axle. It is a similar drop out 3rd member (differential) design.
#17 is the wheel bearing. #42 is the pinion bearing.

axle_exp.jpg

• Like 1

You have to put a collar on after the bearing goes on ( differential side ) ,,, it is a press fit but you can get it to seat with a pipe that's long enough..

You should also always replace the seal that goes inside the rearend on the ends,, it keeps gear oil from washing out the grease in bearing .

This collar

cgi-lib.13606.1.jpg

http://www.datsunparts.com/Rear-Axle

Partnumber: 1570

There are other places to buy collar i just used this site for reference.

So I ordered the 1573 which is the whole kit for both sides, since I ordered the wrong parts before. I guess it works out tho since I can just do the pinion bearings while I'm in there.. I ordered the gasket for the pumpkin too. So now I'm just waiting on parts.

Setting up the pinion will require specialized measuring tools. If the pinion is not making noises I would suggest letting it be for now.

Well I think I'm gonna have Fort Myers Technical College help me with it. I'm not sure if they have all the tools needed, I'm still waiting for a call back. If it seems like too much work I'll skip it since I haven't heard anything from it. Thanks again for all the info!!

• Like 1

Well I think I'm gonna have Fort Myers Technical College help me with it. I'm not sure if they have all the tools needed, I'm still waiting for a call back. If it seems like too much work I'll skip it since I haven't heard anything from it. Thanks again for all the info!!

Good idea!  Contacting the local Junior College or trade school for extensive repairs is a mutually beneficial idea!  You pay for any parts and the instructor makes sure that the students don't do anything stupid.  Downside?  You wait until the vehicle repairs match up with the curriculum schedule.  But the price is right!  And most of the time you get re-upholstery thrown in as part of the deal.

• Like 1