My 66' 411 Project

UPDATE: So I used the clutch master and slave out of a 510 as suggested and they literally bolt right in. So my clutch system is working like a champ. I then decided to pull my gas tank, thankfully I did as what was in there was rather orange. So I used some acetone to clean it out and now it look all clean inside. During that I had to adjust some fuel lines as I didn't like how close it was routed to my custom exhaust. I got all the BS wiring that had been done ripped out. Thanks to that color coded wiring harness I got It wired up correctly! Then she fired right up!! I was sooooo stoked to hear it run for the first time in like 8 years. So as of right now everything is ready to go except the brakes. I tried to get to that late last night but the custom wheels I have have retarded lug nuts holding them on. They require a 12mm allen wrench which needs to be changed. I was so pissed last night tho. We have three giant tool boxes at my shop and no one had a 12mm. So I then went to NAPA, Home Depot, and Lowes and no one had one. So I'm stuck til Snap On turns up on Monday. I'm kind of assuming It's gonna need all new wheel cylinders/rebuilt ones. I figure the master cylinder needs replaced or rebuilt as well. Anyone have suggestions on locating these parts? Thanks for reading!

• Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake master can be bought from Rockauto ,, if you use 66-67 520 pickup  as car...  i assume they use the SAE type thread also . Wheel cylinder repair kits are available if you search your cars specs on the same site ,, but if they are really corroded might not work.

Give some thought to switching out to a 73-76(?) 620 dual master ,,  it would be safer in the long run.. Alot more work though

https://www.rockauto.com/

• Like 1

Brake master can be bought from Rockauto ,, if you use 66-67 520 pickup  as car...  i assume they use the SAE type thread also . Wheel cylinder repair kits are available if you search your cars specs on the same site ,, but if they are really corroded might not work.

Give some thought to switching out to a 73-76(?) 620 dual master ,,  it would be safer in the long run.. Alot more work though

https://www.rockauto.com/

DATSUNPARTS.COM sells a purported 1500 roadster master cylinder [genuine DATSUN domestic Japanese part by the way] with the warning that the brake outlet is on the wrong side.  It is for JDM 310 1500cc roadsters, but is perfect for the 411!  I have one on my RL411 and it bolts up like it should.  The only possible downside if you have an RL411 [improbable given the 1966 date] is that the fluid chamber is smaller, but has a fluid filter inside.  If you need / want the bigger OE fluid receptical, just loosen the clamps and transplant your existing larger [if RL411] tank!  My RL411 with the front disc brakes works just fine with the slightly smaller DATSUNPARTS master cylinder.  Good luck!  Keep these jewels on the road!

• Like 3

Ok so here's where I am as of right now....... I have ordered all the rebuild kits I need for the 6 wheel cylinders. 4 in front 2 in back. I pulled one of the wheel cylinders and sure enough I broke one of the damn bleeders off. So we tried to drill it out and extract it but no luck as of yet. We didn't have much time to mess with it tho either. So we might be able to get it out. Hopefully! From looking at it they don't look in that bad of shape otherwise. Just clean em up and hone em out a little and we think they will be just fine. So if the other one is toast does anyone know of these being available? Does any of the 520 drum stuff work with my car?? I don't need shoes right away but would like to know if they are available or interchangeable as well. I have also ordered a rebuild kit for my master and also a master from a 520 as they look soooo close that if all I have to do is modify the line that may be the way I go. I just ordered some bleeders but I'm not sure if they are the right ones either. Rockauto had em listed but it kinda looked like they were for the the disc brakes? So just in case I ordered the 520 ones too.. haha..  I am probably going to lose my mind before any of these parts show up! haha.  Anyways thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

Start a build file on your computer and keep notes of all the different parts (Year, Make, Model, Manufacturer of Part & Part Number) you use so if you end up selling it you can print it out and give it to the new owner.

If you keep it for years this will make it so you can look back and see what you actually used if you need to replace it again.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I am keeping track of all the parts I use.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So we had this happen on our 3200 mile journey to Cape Coral Fl. I guess I made one too many U-Turns.... So I towed it backwards for about 2200 of those miles.. Not the best way to travel but we made it. I have not had a chance to look at it to see what happened or what I need just yet. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to pull it out. Anyone had to deal with rebuilding these rear axels? FB_IMG_1487140276812.jpg0213171607.jpg

Good thing it walked all the way passed the fender lip before dropping. 

Do you know which rear axle is in your car? The H190 would have to lose 4 flange bolts before the axle could come out so I don't think you have an H190 (what is in my RL411). 

• Like 1

Good thing it walked all the way passed the fender lip before dropping. 

Do you know which rear axle is in your car? The H190 would have to lose 4 flange bolts before the axle could come out so I don't think you have an H190 (what is in my RL411).

Yeah I got real lucky it didn't come out at 85mph down the highway. So I'm not sure what rear end it has so I took some pictures..

• Like 1

Here are some of the pictures I've taken so far. Is this axle pressed into barrings that hold it into place? I ordered all the barrings I could from Rock Auto but not sure If I got what I needed yet... 0215171400c.jpg0215171400d.jpg0215171401e.jpg0215171403b.jpg0215171400c.jpg sorry not the best pics

Wow, looks like the shaft slipped out of the bearing. 

Can you get a shot of the front of the axle?

I assume you mean the end of the axle with the splines... However at this point I still have the car on the dolly so I can take it somewhere as needed. So the dolly won't allow me to pull the axle all the way out. I may just drop it today... We'll see how it goes. I just want my car!!

• Like 1

Nope, the end of the axle with the splines just slips into the differential. There should be a bearing pressed onto the axle near the axle flange on the raised machined surface that is centered in the last picture.  Looks like maybe the inner bearing race might still be there though, picture is a bit fuzzy. 

Nope, the end of the axle with the splines just slips into the differential. There should be a bearing pressed onto the axle near the axle flange on the raised machined surface that is centered in the last picture.  Looks like maybe the inner bearing race might still be there though, picture is a bit fuzzy. 

Let me see if I can use my girlfriends phone... I'll try to put em up as quick as I can.

Well I hope these help. 411%20rear%20axle.jpg411%20rear%20axle%201.jpg411%20axel.jpg411%20axel%201.jpg

Yep, looks like the bearing is still in the housing. There is probably a press fit collar floating around in the housing now. 

If the axle slipped out in that fashion you may end up needing a new axle shaft. I would purchase a new bearing and have a machinist take a look at the axle surfaces and see if you need a new shaft. Then make sure to check the axle housing for any loose pieces (the PF collar specifically) floating around. It is probably a good time to inspect the differential and replace the other side wheel bearing as well. 

• Like 1

Yep, looks like the bearing is still in the housing. There is probably a press fit collar floating around in the housing now. 

If the axle slipped out in that fashion you may end up needing a new axle shaft. I would purchase a new bearing and have a machinist take a look at the axle surfaces and see if you need a new shaft. Then make sure to check the axle housing for any loose pieces (the PF collar specifically) floating around. It is probably a good time to inspect the differential and replace the other side wheel bearing as well. 

Thanks man! I did order a Dif Bearing 30207, a Pinion repair sleeve 99139, and a inner and outer Pinion Bearings 32305,32306-c. I didn't order the other side yet. I may have to wait and do it when I get back to working. I just moved and was planning on driving this car daily..