My 66' 411 Project

Hello my name is Shayne and this is my Datsun 411. I've had this car for apx. 8yrs, only 2 of which it ran. So it has been sitting for sometime. The guy before me did some cool things and he did some stupid things but for the most part this is how it looked when I bought it. I have loved this damn car since the day I saw it. I will never get rid of it that is for sure. So now its time to get it running again. I am sadly on a budget that wont allow me to do what I want(Sr20det)... So I have recently purchased a good running 79' 620 Pickup that I'm planning to take the engine and transmission out and transplant. I kinda started with the bottom and put brand new tires first off. I am in need of wheel cylinders all the way around. I'd like to find both tail lights but I think I've seen them on ebay. Planning to mock swap the motor soon just to see how everything is going to fit. Anyways this is it, I may be interested in any parts for her maybe even just as a spare if ya got em. I am in Denver and would be interested to meet up with local Ratsuners. Thanks  If someone could also tell me how to post photos that would be awesome. No photobucket?

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to ratsun. Unfortunately, photobucket tends to be the very easiest way to host and post pics, so I would recommend getting an account. Whatever you do, do it quick. Folk round these parts are pic whores and you're bound to get 3 or 4 pic demands in a row from us here soon :-D.

You can try posting an ad in the classifieds here for the tail lights.

Post some questions about the engine swap and you may reduce your leg work as well. I don't know about the 411, but in the 510 the truck oil pan doesn't clear the cross member and you have to change (or modify) the engine mount brackets on the block. Might be worth knowing if you need parts before digging in. Good luck, take way too many pics, ask all the questions!

• Like 2

Tail lights - 1966 was a transition year so the tail lights may be "keyhole" shaped or roughly quadrangular.  Take pix of the openings you have and responders can reply with the correct lights and housings.

Tires - don't splurge on tires yet!  Wait until you get the little jewel running first or you will be posting an almost new set of tires and what's left of the 411 if you can't get in in legal road running condition.

Motor swap - the 411 has a REALLY short engine compartment!  Overhead cam L series engines usually require sacrificing the windshield wiper motor and cutting a hole in the hood [bonnet to our Brit oriented friends].  The lead mechanic at my local Datsun now Nissan dealer bought an engine wasted 411 and retrofitted an A series motor for his daughter.  That was about 15 years ago and he had the full support of the dealer, his friends on the whole repair and service staff and the Nissan very responsive parts support team was just down the road in Torrance/Carson!  Not going to be a weekend project!

Hope you find a good J engine and a good rebuild gasket set.

Tana the Datsun Lady has retired and is closing out her parts stash and had some 411 drum brake cylinders made up several years ago.  I don't know if she has any left, so go look.

Hope you do get that car on the road, the world needs more 410 and 411 on the road to remind the world just what fine cars Datsun turned out in the 60s.

• Like 2

Go to RareParts.com and see what if anything they have that might interest you.  Example, I needed a new, not rebuilt, brake master cylinder for my RL411.  RareParts listed a new Nissan brake master cylinder for the 310 roadster with the 1500 cc engine with the warning that the outlet was on the "wrong" side.  Perfect!  The master cylinder was for the JDM roadster and the "Wrong Side" was perfect for the export 310 roadster with the steering wheel and brake pedal on the left side and not coincidently for my RL411 sedan.  It bolted right up and the brake lines were perfectly aligned!

It takes quite a bit of ingenuity, imagination and close attention to details to keep a 49 year old vehicle in road worthy condition but you can really do it!

I bought my 1967 RL411 new and have defended it against careless drivers and parkers for the last 47 years.  It's still my favorite car.  Or as my wife puts it, my hobby!

• Like 2

So thanks so far for all the info!! I would love to post pictures and I have a bunch but I can't seem to figure out how to post them from PhotoBucket. Every time I click the link button it brings up the screen it showed in the tutorial but mine has extra options and asks for my email, a subject and a body... It then just does nothing and I can't even exit it without pressing the back button. Grrrrrr. Aggravating!!

Lets see now.....

[/url]">http://0106151409a.jpg

A great starter!  FYI, the factory outside miror was round, not flag shaped.  When you get down to that level of finishing up, Roberk makes a round door mount mirror that is an almost exact duplicate of the original, it even fits the factory attachment plate.  Carried in almost all parts stores.

• Like 1

BAHAHAHAHA!!! I WIN!!   So Fuck You Internet Explorer and Thank you Firefox.    Heres what i got.......

[/url]">http://0427151302d.jpg

The motor I want to use.

[/url]">http://0427151300a.jpg

Both together

[/url]">http://0420151800b.jpg

I needed to make it roll easier... lol

[/url]">http://96TSITUNER<a data-ipb=">/Mobile%20Uploads/0427151302g.jpg' alt='0427151302g.jpg'>[/url]

More...

[/url]">http://0428151809e.jpg

[/url]">http://http://s45.photobucket.com/user/96TSITUNER/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0427151303.jpg.html'>0427151303.jpg

• Like 3

One pic messed up but It was the new tires... lol... Like I said I needed to make it roll cuz I have to keep it at my work shop. Thanks for the tip on the mirror however I've decieded not to worry about keeping it original per say as I will never NEVER sell this car. I would like to customize it to the point in which it could be returned to original if needed. I don't imagine that this car will ever be worth any crazy amount of money so it is what it is.

• Like 1

Per the NADA classic car guide you might be looking at a retail price close to $5000 when restored so don't sell yourself short.  Once again, the L series engine will not fit without butchering the car!  Go to

"http://nadaguides.com/classic-cars/1966/nissan-datsun/410/4-door-sedan/values" and see what today's values are.  You will probably be surprised.  The fine print at the bottom defines the "condition" demarcations.  Good luck, you just might change your mind over modifications.

Now if we could get Jay Leno to park one in his garage and show it off, lord knows what the value might be!

• Like 2

Welcome to Ratsun!

What size are those wheels and tires? They look way out of place on that car in my opinion.

Thanks. They are 18" wheels. Some people like em some people hate em.. I love them. The tires I just bought are Nitto 850's 225/40/18. All I know is it's going to grip!!

• Like 1

I follow a pretty firm rule when putting on rims and tires. When I increase the size of the rim from stock, I never want the wheel arch gap to be bigger than the sidewall. If the sidewall measures 2 inches tall, then the gap from tire to fender arch must be 2 inches at the most. I always keep a max 1:1 ratio there. Smaller arch gap is fine and looks fine, but bigger than this makes cars look like they have a lift, even at stock ride height. Point is -

MOAR LOWRS!

• Like 2

Thanks. They are 18" wheels. Some people like em some people hate em.. I love them. The tires I just bought are Nitto 850's 225/40/18. All I know is it's going to grip!!

These 205/50/15's have grip!

11066515_10204453270788046_8580902617519

6a354fcc-b342-4d78-9fe5-01766b83cff9_zps

• Like 3

Well like I said some like em some don't. Me I like a lot of different things. You guys are all getting mad at me for the wheels and tires lol. Wait til I tell you I'm thinking of making it electric!! Hahaha!!  I'm making friends all over this site.....

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

UPDATE: So I found a guy that had a 1300 down in Colorado Springs! So for a while I've been collecting and prepping everything as needed. The motor is out of a 66' pickup that the guy had installed a I believe R1 motor. Very cool guy that runs a restoration shop down there. I can't for the life of me remember his name but I know he is on here so thanks again dude!! I learned the hard way that the oil pans were different. haha. So I've got that fixed and everything else reinstalled. Now I need to work out the wiring. It has been wired and wired and wired again I fell like cuz it kind of a mess.. I did post to the member on here that has the color coded wiring diagram as the link is down. Other wise I'm working out the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder with the 510 set up that is supposed to work. Then I just need to bleed the brakes and fire it up!!!  Hopefully running and Driving in the next 2 weeks! my%20motor.jpg

• Like 4