Oil in gas in new rebuild

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never. The oil won't burn as the gas and air are mixed in the proper ratio and there is no oxygen left over for it. The heat will coke or carbonize the oil and leave a thick deposit on the piston, rings, plugs and valves. Carbon is very abrasive.

If you have rebuilt your engine properly the rings will get all the oil lubrication they need.

I poured racing 50wt over my whole valve train and all over the timing assembly before my first crank when I rebuilt my z24. Even priming the pump wont do much because you can't prime the whole system on these engines like you can a chevy or a Ford. Assembly lube is your best friend, followed by break in additives in your first few oil changes. I like how busta nut packs his timing assembly with assembly lube.

You can fill the oil system by filling the pump, disconnecting the coil so it won't start and cranking the engine over for 10 seconds or so. Leave the valve cover off and you'll see the oil when it get's up there.

The only time I ever prime an oil pump is when it's a race motor. Otherwise I just pack the pump with Redline assembly lube and drench the cam and valvetrain with oil then fire it up.

If there is fuel in the carb and the timing is close, it should fire within seconds and build oil pressure quickly.

The only time I ever prime an oil pump is when it's a race motor. Otherwise I just pack the pump with Redline assembly lube and drench the cam and valvetrain with oil then fire it up.

If there is fuel in the carb and the timing is close, it should fire within seconds and build oil pressure quickly.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the way RW has always done his motors.

As John510 said, oil and petrol mixes are only for two strokes.

The old formula Bon Ami had volcanic pummace in it for scowering sinks. My rule is Nissan knew what they were doing when building engines. They didn't use it.... YOU should't use it. Cars/rings and oil have come a long long way since the '50s... hell car makers back then didn't use it. They often did use 'break-in' oil to speed the seating of the rings.  

You bring up a good point. If the oil is too slippery it may not help the rings seat properly.

Another common misconception is how you're supposed to drive until it's all broken in. On the dyno, the engine gets revved up and down slowly for the first couple of minutes, followed by a couple medium pulls to the upper middle of the RPM range, then full power runs under redline. Full break in of rings should take mo longer than a few minutes.

On the other hand, if you drive it too gently, the rings run the risk of never seating properly at all. Varying RPM's under medium load is key.