510 rear end on 521

Albertc454

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of work for dubious results, course depends on what you want out of it. It would be high on the bragging rights but lower on strength and utility. Would it handle better than a lowered/modified leaf spring rear end? Maybe, but expensive to find out.

• 6 months later...

^Don't let their logic get you down. If people let logic and cost deter them, we wouldn't have Formula 1 today. I have pondered the same things but on a 620 pickup and a 240sx rear end. What is pushing me away from the idea is it would take a lot of engineering to keep from cutting into the bed floor for suspension travel. Cantilever design would be best bet to keep from cutting it. I want to be able to use my truck's bed, hard to do with a massive C-notch cut out and coilovers sticking through. 

• Like 1

Lot of work for dubious results, course depends on what you want out of it. It would be high on the bragging rights but lower on strength and utility. Would it handle better than a lowered/modified leaf spring rear end? Maybe, but expensive to find out.

^Don't let their logic get you down. If people let logic and cost deter them, we wouldn't have Formula 1 today. I have pondered the same things but on a 620 pickup and a 240sx rear end. What is pushing me away from the idea is it would take a lot of engineering to keep from cutting into the bed floor for suspension travel. Cantilever design would be best bet to keep from cutting it. I want to be able to use my truck's bed, hard to do with a massive C-notch cut out and coilovers sticking through. 

Well what's stopping you? Logic or expense? As far as I can see we both agree. It maybe could be done but so what? It's dubious impractical and worse risks ruining the vehicle.

Zackly

Keep in mind that the truck has a body drop, way more than the bed was cut, the whole floor of the cab was raised, you can also see the valve cover and one of the SUs sticking out of the hood, that is what happens when a body drop is done on an L block equipped 521. 

OH MAN! I like! And looks like the bed was only cut so you could drop lower..? right? 

• 3 weeks later...