Frenchie's beaten project restoration

sebpv

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She was coughing and puffing and running rich when I bought her, the floor mounts were rusted through, the tranny monkey tail support was jimmy-rigged, half the lights didnt work...buuut the excitement of driving a classic car overruled...YTyleqy.jpg

irgn0rw.jpg

Anyway I started tearing into it. Beginning with the floors. Took a while since they were coated with a gummy paint. Didnt think about buying a paint stripper at the time...BKj26SL.jpg

aBGfIo3.jpg

Holes started appearing after I wire wheeled the driver side, so I ended up cutting it and welded a big patch.

poy4bSP.jpg

RRNXCU8.jpg

I kept the stock floor just in case. I also got aroung fixing the rear corner. What you see is my second attempt.

t0iB0wa.jpg

Then I decided to smear cheap black paint with a brush and a roller and called it a day.ea4E2n9.jpg

AXX3Mrs.jpg

Last year I also "attempted" to fix my oil leakage. So I pulled the engine and replace all the gaskets, seals, rings, a the crankshaft bearing.

5vgcGlf.jpg

II9ig52.jpg

Fixed a distributor and carb issue and got it running...for 2 minutes. Then SEIZED!! Fawk. I dunno yet what the problem is but heres what I know: I cranked her one too many times previously during the build. I used oil instead of the build lube...That was right before winter. I disassembled the engine and stored it before the freeze. While I had the engine bay emptied, I thought it would be great to paint the engine bay. Not bad for a first timer, but wasnt happy.

fp5QJr0.jpg

xZKGRdq.jpg

Now spring is here, I bought and installed a car tent/sandblast-paint booth. Removed the body as you can see

o4qvN19.jpg

Found couple problems: rust holes in the rear axle perches supports, brakes adjusters shims missing, brake fluid bleeders broken off, backing plates all pryed back and a scratchy sound when rotating the wheels. All in all I swaped the rear end with my spare truck and ordered new oil seals since the replacement had oil in the bearing housing...WrsabEA.jpg

ATsxniL.jpg

YhNixHD.jpg

• Like 1

So now Im here with the intent to restore and repair what I can to make that truck appealing and sellable. I plan on painting it with a mix of metallic green and a dark brown shining through it. Sorta like a chameleon paint...sorta. Current objective is to sandblast the frame. I got everything off the frame minus the front shocks, extension rods and the wheels. I have a sandblaster and a compressor but have to wait for a wall outlet to be wired in...I can also dig in the engine, but I dont have my parts yet. My dad is on the other side of Canada waiting for them to arrive.

Second goal is to re-re-fix the floors, I WOULD LIKE to build new cab mounts and floors like the stock way, especially the floors to give back the original height to the cab and make the bullet line match... By the end of July I SHOULD be able to drop some paint on the truck. That means I will have fixed this clusterphoque:

91C8BBF2-E86D-47C8-814D-6B6076A3114C_zps

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So over the past weeks I managed to renove the rest of the frame accessories: shocks, extension rods, stabilizers, fuel and brake lines. I found that I needed new oil seals, brake adjusters, new dust covers and perhaps nee wheel cylinders but those are gonna wait until the truck is done...The frame is being sandblasted. Got about 10 hours put into it and the process is excruating!

VjIhjqt.jpg

di7uIdM.jpg

ExTrenI.jpg

They dont all fit in his Corvette...Gotta go back with the semi-truck before leaving for the States

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well I only go occasionally due to hating sanblasting... I generally go for 5hrs at a time. Currently I have half the underside of the frame to do plus all the attached things i.e. axle, crossmembers, drums, diff and shock mounts. I prolly have about 30hrs of sandblasting and 15 of them is prep and troubleshooting...And my air compressor was until recently too small for the work. A friend of a friend was contacted but he's too busy

• 2 weeks later...

Oh5ue3b.jpg

What do I do when the hammers dont work, the slide hammer with the axle on the rear end doesnt work, AND sledge hammer doesnt work. Before you ask, yes I removed the retainer...

Im afraid of simply greasing the bearing from above, causing debris to be trapped in.

Im at a loss :(

was this axle bearing bad?

Then why you remove it

It needs to be pressed at a Machne shop. alot of work if not needed.

I just replace the outer seal. the inner I think is a grease seal. Usually oil gets on the breaks. Then just change that. I didnt want to go thru the hassle of the inner. Been fine since

get new seals also bearing are EZ to get belive all same on trucks up to the 1st gen Pathfinder

on the motor sieze? Did you prime the oil pump before start up?

motor oil should have been OK also.

Key is a primed oil pump. Oil everything right before start up.

I prime the mecahnbical fuel pump by hand so gas is in the carb and ready to fire off instead of just cranking.

Yup I primed it with a battery drill right beforr startup. So far without diagnostic, I can only believe the many engine cranks washed away the motor oil on the bearings, and the oil pump wouldnt supply enough pressure to lube everywhere... I should tear her up soon.

As for this bearing, I just wanted to take it out for repacking. I was told to use a press-which my shop had- to press out the axle. If someone believes this will fuck up the bearing as I press it out: BETTER SPEAK NOW. Im heading out soon

As for this bearing, I just wanted to take it out for repacking

alot of work $$$ for nothing . I would have just throw grease on there. The oil from the diff would have covers the rest ok..

once you cranked oil should have gotton picked up if the oil pump was primed. I heard of people forgeting to put the pick up in or they are cracked. There is a gasket for them also. But just incase you forgot it maybe there is sucked air in

better have that inner grease seal!!!!!!!!!!!! make sure it fit

Fuck lost all my text before sending...

In short: grease seal changed; unknown metal ring found behind it; said F@&K it and simply worked grease in the axle bearing from above; will now install axle assembly and check other side for ring.

POR-15ed with new rear shocks and blocks. the shocks had minimal paint so I just covered them with the rest but Im not sure I like if... I will prolly rattle paint the front shocks the same blue for the engine

4vekLCQ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

puq1fUf.jpg

SS7O4XS.jpg

7tZNh6s.jpg

Tore into the engine today. I realized something was wrong when I tried turning the engine and only two pistons would travel...

S9tOPtQ.jpg

zgKOz1q.jpg

Dont ask me how I managed that one...

vm00nxM.jpg

bG0zq6n.jpg

Lw72Dat.jpg

Only damage to the crankshaft. A bit on sand paper should fix that to an OK state...

T4C393B.jpg

TADAAA...Its feeling just like me right now...

Y8xELBl.jpg

Anyone got a recycled L16 to part out? In case someone is curious, my zip code is T9M2C6 Canada...