Rear hub assembly diagnosis expert

sebpv

Hi, just disassembled the rear brake and I wanted an opinion on the overall look of my hub assembly. I dont know whats good, normal or bad. So heres a picture:

A7E0C83D-482E-44AC-A09E-77EEAF6BBBD4_zps

Sorry I dont think its necessary to show the internals. The bearings beads each rolls freely. Its covered in "clean" uniform black oil. The axle seal is good, intact and soft. There was a thin film of grease/dirt/dust coated on the drum internals. But I dont know how to translate that grease you can see between the axle and the backing plate... Help?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had 2 bolts to remove, so I figured what the hell, just do it. Im not good with words so:

0C25988A-7272-46D2-BB92-59484B718145_zps

36431104-00BF-4382-9016-ABEEF0FFC1C5_zps

2C326A6D-952D-430B-85FB-260EEAFA5D00_zps

Keep in mind I pressured washed where accessible. Behind the hub I couldnt, hence the gunk u saw...Also by the look of the "clean ring" u can see the axle seal does its intended job. The wheel cylinder is being looked at. It still have the rubber cups and all. But the lower thingy had what looked like "dried coolant" before I washed it.

Now can someone expend on the hammer and piece of wood technique to remove the bearing?

First I straighten the "gear" tooth I guess, but then? I also read something about hammering the front hub counter-clockwise but why and how?

Should I be worried that the outer bearing could be dry as well? Will the grease make it all the way to the front face of the hub? And should i hit the hub assembly with brake cleaner first in order to get as much oil out as possible?