electronic choke help

Zeek90

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woops..accidently sent an incomplete message. Now my question is how does the stock b210 hatachi electronic choke work? Mine always stays open. isnt it sposed to be closed on cold starts? Then open after u turn on the car? And it warms up? Is there lines that need to be fixed or wires to make the electronic choke function

A failed choke fails in the closed position as a rule. To be open at all times it's either been set that way or is stuck. 

Take the air breather off so you can get at it. Hold the throttle open slightly and try to close the choke flap by hand. Spray WD-40 over all the moving parts you see. Does the choke now close?

Have a read through this post about carbs. Your B-210 carb will be similar in function...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53548-77-620-hitachi-carb-adjustmentsi-need-help/ 

It's an electric choke as in an electric heater just like your toaster. Toasters aren't electronic just electric. Electronic infers electrical components and circuits. This is just electricity heating a wire.

Yeah so i recently got the carb rebuilt an was wondering why its open.So when the car is on and warm and driving and u turn off the car.. and it sits out for a whole day without turning back on,the choke flap dosent just automatical while car is off close up right? It stays open In the last position it was in when the car was turned off.and When u wanna turn it back on Pressing on the gas pedal should close the choke flap Right? To start warmin up the car.

Yeah so i recently got the carb rebuilt an was wondering why its open.So when the car is on and warm and driving and u turn off the car.. and it sits out for a whole day without turning back on,the choke flap dosent just automatical while car is off close up right? It stays open In the last position it was in when the car was turned off.and When u wanna turn it back on Pressing on the gas pedal should close the choke flap Right? To start warmin up the car.

If taken apart the choke heater was probably was put back onto the housing but not properly hooked up inside. Simple fix.

20121019_153005_DSC04313.jpg

The choke heater is on the right. See that J shaped hook on the end of that coil spring? Well it has to engage that lever on the left half. As the coil cools down with the engine the coil contracts and pulls the choke flap closed ready to start in the morning. On the upper right you can see the heater coil. An electric heater is used to warm the coil spring, it expands and turns the choke off, usually in about 8 min or less.

There are three screws on the choke heater housing. Loosen and twist the outer case to add (richen) or remove (lean) the choke. Usually there is an arrow to indicate direction.

thanks a lot guys... i just a couple days ago got it rebuilt an it works fine and all just i think choke is stuck. And that ol gas pedal pressing method to get the choke to close on cold starts dont work. Since i got a waranty on my carb im just gonna go back to the place for he can either adjust it or something

I just thought it couda been some kind of cucumm hose unpluged or leaked. Or a hose not conected in the right place u know something i could fix. The choke did open up after he installed it.. so idk whats up. Dont wanna force it open and break it. So ill let him do it

• 1 month later...

Yes it need a power source so that it heats up. The warming rate is designed in to match the warming of the engine. The blue wire is usually connected to a relay that only provides power if the engine is running. Because of this you need the engine running to check the voltage.

There is little harm in connecting to any switched source that is turned on and off with the ignition.