Sierra_510, My new project.

Sierra_510

DSC_0190_zpsnnjxa8st.jpg

Hello everyone

This is my new project. 71 2 door. My Dad bought this back in the mid 90's for  a parts car or another race car,when we were racing  SCCA ITC with our main car.

Long story short, We stopped racing , sold the race car. This has been sitting on my family's property since then. My dad passed away a couple years ago and the family asked me what I wanted to do.

So here we are , Its in my driveway now. Long term build for sure. Has all the rust issues, so have to sort that out first. No engine or trans, so thats good. It will be a complete tear down and rebuild. 

I will post more pics as I take them of the teardown. It needs floor boards and rockers for sure, been looking into replacement stuff. Don't want to re-invent the wheel here, there seems to be lots of good stuff out there these days. If anyone has a place to get replacement floorboards let me know. I see FutoFab has rockers and some other stuff.

Shot out windows and bullet hole in the side thanks to my cousins. 

Cheers all!

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a little update , got to spend a couple hours cleaning all the broken glass and debris out. Getting a better look at the rust. Spraying all the hard ware with penetrating lubricant.

Going to start stripping down all the easy stuff. Big project, but Glad to have it in the driveway finally.

Cheers all!

DSC_0231_zpsn1jfp8hk.jpg?1430190228879&1DSC_0226_zpsebfz5w7e.jpg?1430190228878&1DSC_0227_zpst0flmcso.jpg?1430190228878&1DSC_0220_zpsve8wcpum.jpg?1430190228878&1DSC_0225_zps3pgxbmox.jpg?1430190228878&1

• Like 1

How much rust is too much? Spent a half day today really getting into things. Worse than I thought. The car was free to me and has sentimental value, so want to get it stripped down and media blasted to really see whats usable.  Looking for information on how far I can go on replacing stuff?  Ideas?

Thganks

DSC_0244_zpsbmrwvfn2.jpgDSC_0243_zpskxmhbbuf.jpgDSC_0241_zpsvnb79v0c.jpgDSC_0242_zpslp7jtane.jpg

Welcome to the house! I remember when I brought home my 71 and she looked pretty good, but once I got into it, there was lots of stuff going on. How much rust is too much? Well, anything can be fab or replaced, depending on your skills and tools. What I've noticed so far, is that a lot of metal is real thin in some places and makes welding difficult at times. But, with time and patience, anything is possible. Don't get discourage and keep on keeping' on!!

• Like 1

If you care enough, every single piece of metal can be made new and put in. How much you care is a question for you, your wallet, and your skill set. I say go for it. There are a fair number new sheet metal pieces available now, but some if it you will still need to fab yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have been searching the inter webs to see what people are doing. Have seen cars in far worse shape than mine brought back. This is a long term build and will be taking my time. What i can't do, I am lucky to have friends in The Reno area that can help me. Going slow right now on the tear down, cataloging all parts and pieces.  The floor pans and trunk are expected as was the rockers, its the front clip and fender area that I wasn't  expecting to see so far gone, but  oh well.

How much rust is too much? Spent a half day today really getting into things. Worse than I thought. 

The holes near the bumper mount and on the rocker tip behind the fender are super common rust areas on a 510. Almost any 510 in "project" condition will have these holes. I've even seen a lot of "nice" 510s with holes near the bumper mounts. 

It's worth fixing because it's a 2dr. Your attachment to it makes it doubly worth saving.  :thumbup:

Lost my dad about 12 years ago. To have even one of his cars would make me willing to fix any rust... 

• Like 2

I have seen a lot more rust on other cars. Your car has the rust in the normal areas but it could be a lot worse. I haven't forgotten about the floorpan info, I will try to locate it today. Good luck just take it a little at a time and it will all come together.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot more rust on other cars. Your car has the rust in the normal areas but it could be a lot worse. I haven't forgotten about the floorpan info, I will try to locate it today. Good luck just take it a little at a time and it will all come together.

I sent an PM to the guy in Georgia but no answer yet. Going slow and taking my time.

Cheers