alternator help. gm 105 amp in lz22 in 510

So I'm having a charging problem. I welded up my exhaust yesterday and forgot to disconnect my battery. My alternator no longer works now. So I swapped it out with a brand new one and it still won't charge. Sense wire is connected Ted to correct pin as well as the light wire. Charge light is on when car is running. I unplugged my alternator and then plugged it back in (while car was running) and I noticed th e alternator hums really hard but only puts out half a volt from the positive post. Wires are good and so are the fuses. Also checked the battery and it's fine.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive killed a few of those.. One didnt seem to be balanced inside and murdered itsself in a few 100k.. The case actually blew apart on that one. It was a bosch reman. I dont know about you guys but ive had zero luck with any bosch remanned anything. Bullshit! Another one died from bearing failure.

Ive killed probibly 10 datsun ones. The one on my car now is an older gm one off some 80's wreck. Its ugly, but it still works great! Haha.

• Like 1

I believe it was due to the high speed driving all then time with low gears. Ive never had a stock hitatchi alternator or external regulator last more than a couple months. No luck at all.

Ive had very good luck with gm style ac delco ones, and ive nothing but trouble with bosch anything on many vehicles.. Like i said before.

• Like 1

I found the problem. I had listend to a bunch of gm guys and people that didn't know anything and hooked up the sense wire to the positive post and kept over charging them. I replaced it 3 times til I realized it was wired wrong. I removed the sense wire and it works like a charm. Note to self, don't listen to people that haven't done the upgrade.

• Like 1