71 510 Wagon IRS Rear End.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait... You PNW guys have all the resources... Screw both of them and come help me DF. I'll make you a hello kitty cake and you can drool over the 4dr.   :angel:

Back on topic though, that diff does look really low. Is that where the stock solid axle sits? I've never been under a 510 to see the difference, but pretty sure my B210s (both stock height) are no where near that far from the body.

EDIT: I'm also much closer DF... Just saying :ninja:

• Like 1

Is that where the stock solid axle sits? I've never been under a 510 to see the difference, but pretty sure my B210s (both stock height) are no where near that far from the body.

I think that's just IRS versus live axle. At stock height most live axle cars are that far away. On an IRS car, the diff doesn't move when you lower like a live axle car does. 

When I first finished my 1200 IRS swap I thought the same thing, "wow that diff is low". But after comparing it to a 510, it is within 1/4". 

Ah, nice to know. The IRS swap still scares the :poop:  out of me so good on anyone who can work it out.

Looking forward to seeing all of the progress and seeing how you fix the alignment issue. You're a brave soul imo

u have to remember that the sedan floor is much lower then a wagon rear pan too .. and yes i cit te fuck out of my frame to get the wish bone in and the full droop i want in my irs.... my moustache mount is about the same .... as wit most irs wagons ... 

69A360CA-BCCD-4E56-B579-B2EAC549C06D_zps

here u can see i cut the double metal out to put the factory ront mounts up in the pocket as it is in a sedan...... fits perfect ..... and locates the irs perfectly...and u can see how much rail i cut out to fit the wish bone in 

4D19F378-E5AC-464C-A7B7-C9A31FE7B5A4_zps

8F44E55E-5A8B-4FD5-89B7-A4F5CDBD3C43_zps

C2FA2A74-75DC-4B46-A1B3-6BECB8A5ED2B_zps

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

damn that looks like alot of work!!! i want to bag it but don't know anything about them or how to go about it .. 

yeah they sit stagnant and i buy other things and start threads for that and they dont get work either ...got my fresh crf450r motor back last week with new cams valves and fresh sleeve and piston ... and havent even put that back together yet ... feeling overwhelmed 

ya i need to get the rear in higher so it can level out better. but I'm looking into making coil overs or bagging it. 

Coil overs fersure!!! But I'd make sure that you're ride height doesn't create lots of half shaft angularity otherwise you'll then have vibration from the universals transmitting through the car. Try and get those half shafts as parallel to the ground as you can. 

sometimes u just got to go for it.. i have a lot of work still but i can't wait to finish it.. 

Ah, nice to know. The IRS swap still scares the :poop:  out of me so good on anyone who can work it out.

Looking forward to seeing all of the progress and seeing how you fix the alignment issue. You're a brave soul imo

i didn't cut my tunnel. but some guys cut it to go lower. 

I have a feeling the OP's car didn't get the frame rails cut enough, or at all ... Do you guys with IRS swaps have modified drive-shaft tunnels? or does the back seat cross-brace fit without cutting?

with irs u dont need to cut the tunnel ... the driveline sits at a static level unlike a live axle .... u are limitied to the amount of low  u can achieve... the irs in my car is about as high as it needs to be to be low as shit and not modify a billion and one things 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was Up guys been sometime. i finished alot on my Build. Motor is in. just starte her up yesterday but i have to fix a few things to call it Running lol.

Paint n Body is Done. Battery Moved to Under the back Seat. Wiring done.

i have to Install the gas tank (Mustang Gas tank). Do some other wiring on Fuel pump n Tech.

Install the Coilovers For the Rear n She should be ready to hit the Road with in a Month or so.

Ill be Posting Pictures Hopefully today just Dont have them on my Computer to do so right now.

Also Looking to trade my CenterLine Rims for some Steelies. Deep Dish.

(14x8 all around )                          (looking for 14 n bigger)4x114

• 3 months later...

Was Up guys been sometime. i finished alot on my Build. Motor is in. just starte her up yesterday but i have to fix a few things to call it Running lol.

Paint n Body is Done. Battery Moved to Under the back Seat. Wiring done.

i have to Install the gas tank (Mustang Gas tank). Do some other wiring on Fuel pump n Tech.

Install the Coilovers For the Rear n She should be ready to hit the Road with in a Month or so.

Ill be Posting Pictures Hopefully today just Dont have them on my Computer to do so right now.

Also Looking to trade my CenterLine Rims for some Steelies. Deep Dish.

(14x8 all around )                          (looking for 14 n bigger)4x114

Question about your 510. Did that used to belong to Dave Lewis in Yorba Linda? I've know Dave since `74 and your 510 looks like his. I'm originally from Whittier, Telegraph and Ceres ave.

• Like 1