'71 510 wagon, shop project

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Replaced all the rubber brake lines, master cylinder, and rear wheel cylinders. Brakes work great now. 

Put in new clutch master, rubber hose, and slave cylinder. Clutch works great. 

Reinstalled the fuel tank with new vent lines and new rubber fuel lines. Cranked it over and now it pulls fuel up from the tank very well. 

Hooked the exhaust back up and gave her a test fire. It runs for a bit, but it doesn't want to idle. 

Trying to decide now whether to dive into the Hitachi or shitcan it for a Weber...     :rofl:

• Like 1

Couldn't make the stock carb work, so we decided to say screw it and put a Weber on it. I'm saving every single piece that comes off so it can go back to stock later. Need it driving right now...

We rebuilt a spare 32/36 we had on hand and grabbed one of the tall adapters out of the stash...

20150722_161728.jpg

Runs great now, just need to fix an exhaust leak. May be able to drive it around tomorrow...   :thumbup:

• Like 3

that hose coming out the side of the intake manifold lower part is that correct?  I think it goes to the fender a gas vent valve.

Not the crank case tube .

the small one from the crank case tube goes to the vent on side fender theres a upper and lower. think its lower if I remember right the top wen the stock aircleaner

Yes sir, I just left it that way temporarily to fire it up. But good eye. I'll fix it tomorrow. 

Fixed that hose issue...

Radiator puked out a good bit of water while tuning the carb. Might have let it get a little warm? Decided this was a good time to replace the thermostat, and put a new radiator cap on it. Also replaced the thermostat housing since the original one had a small chip in it that could get worse later...

20150723_131337.jpg

Apparently the temperature gauge wasn't working very well either. Tested the gauge itself and it seems to be working fine, so we put in a new sender. Now it works great...

20150723_131354.jpg

Now after all that, it only gets up to the T on the gauge. Maybe we used too cold a thermostat...   :rofl:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Pulling all the glass out right..

Nah. This ain't that kinda build. Just a quickie.   B)

New windshield and new rubbers would put too big a dent in the budget. 

Same stock color?

Yes sir. Another reason I'm not pulling the glass.  ^_^

Seals are good and we're keeping the original color, so...

Is there a write up on this trick?

Buy a '75-78 280Z or '89-93 240SX clutch slave (these are the two I KNOW fit, but others may). Find a small 1/4 drive socket that fits into the hole in the stock clutch lever. Jam it onto the clutch slave shaft. Install as normal. 

The problem is that the later cars use a clutch arm with a dimple in it, so the slave cylinder shaft rides in the dimple and pushes on it to activate the clutch. The earlier cars use an adjustable rod that fits through a hole in the arm (not a dimple). So when you install a newer style slave the rod just falls through the hole. With the socket jammed on, it does not.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

So when you install a newer style slave the rod just falls through the hole.???

so this takes up the slop from the shorter newer style(later forkarms)??????

Just buy a 510 slave or or the old 510 rod.

hopefully people don't get confused as different springs heights on the diaphrame dependnting which pressure plate one uses. So the Rod lengths will vary between the 2

So when you install a newer style slave the rod just falls through the hole.???

Yes, if it's a stock transmission.

Just buy a 510 slave 

If anyone sold them, I might.   :rofl:

or the old 510 rod.

So put an adjustable rod on a slave not meant for one? Doesn't really work as well as you might think. 

Also, why use a slave that needs routine adjustment in place of one that never needs adjustment? All just to not use a 50 cent socket?   :confused:

hopefully people don't get confused as different springs heights on the diaphrame dependnting which pressure plate one uses. So the Rod lengths will vary between the 2

I don't believe that has anything to do with this. At all. 

And if I confused anyone with something that simple, maybe they shouldn't be working on cars.   :rofl:

• Like 1