'71 510 wagon, shop project

Get it ready for me to drive back to WA and then we got a deal! :)

It'll be ready to drive anywhere you like in about two weeks.  B)

Got all the dents out of the lower valence and hood. Need to fix that fender hickey and a few more dings in the doors then she'll be off for paint hopefully Friday...

20150505_170009s.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw that Trophy badge and almost pooped my pants.  Wasn't Bankston a Datsun dealer also? Or did they come to the party late?

It'll be ready to drive anywhere you like in about two weeks.  B)

Got all the dents out of the lower valence and hood. Need to fix that fender hickey and a few more dings in the doors then she'll be off for paint hopefully Friday...

20150505_170009s.jpg

:(

Had planned to dye the carpets back to black since they were so badly faded, but after closer inspection they will need to be replaced. They are properly thrashed...   :blush:

20150506_103311.jpg

Upside is the floors look decent...   :thumbup:

20150506_103410.jpg

That dark stuff you see is old insulation from the tunnel, not rust. Surprisingly it has very little rust, just a tiny bit of surface rust around the drain plugs...    :thumbup:

20150506_104032.jpg

• Like 2

Actually worked at Bankston in Irving when they sold to AN......was a good place to work before, not so much after.

Actually worked at Bankston in Irving when they sold to AN......was a good place to work before, not so much after.

Yeah, they ruined a lot of dealerships... For employees at least...    :blush:

Spent a few minutes farting around with the dealership badge today. Got most of the pits sanded/filed off. IF the chrome goes on a little thick, it should look pretty decent. If it doesn't...

20150508_152332.jpg

May see about powdercoating it instead...   :rofl:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bumpers came back from the chrome shop...

20150604_172610.jpg

Chrome looks good, but unfortunately they made a few mistakes...

20150604_172717.jpg

The car had a trailer hitch that we got rid of, but it left two bolt holes in the rear bumper. So I asked the chromer to weld up the hitch holes, which they did. But they also welded up ALL OF THE HOLES. IN BOTH BUMPERS. Including the license plate mounting holes.  :frantics:

So pissed about that. Now waffling on whether I want to redrill the holes they welded up, or just leave it smooth...   <_<

• Like 3

Bumpers came back from the chrome shop...

20150604_172610.jpg

Chrome looks good, but unfortunately they made a few mistakes...

20150604_172717.jpg

The car had a trailer hitch that we got rid of, but it left two bolt holes in the rear bumper. So I asked the chromer to weld up the hitch holes, which they did. But they also welded up ALL OF THE HOLES. IN BOTH BUMPERS. Including the license plate mounting holes.  :frantics:

So pissed about that. Now waffling on whether I want to redrill the holes they welded up, or just leave it smooth...   <_<

Did he leave at least he mounting holes for the bumpers am i reading this right. I had all my holes welded except the mounting holes. no front plate for me on any car.

Did he leave at least he mounting holes for the bumpers am i reading this right. I had all my holes welded except the mounting holes. no front plate for me on any car.

Ray, you know there are no mounting holes in a 510 bumper. It has studs on the back side to mount it.   ;)

He welded up the licence plate holes and the holes for the overriders you love so much.  

• Like 2

How much does it cost these days to re chrome a bumper?

This guy charges $200 per bumper for straightening and the rechrome. It's not totally "show quality", but it's affordably priced.

I recently found another shop that's a lot closer to me, but is a little more spendy ($200 for just chrome, $250-300 if it needs straightening). But he does better work. 

I'm going to take the bumpers for my '68 510 to the new guy and see what he can do with them. May switch to him if the quality is that much better...

• Like 2

That's cheap for bumpers. Triple plated? 

Yes, and it's definitely cheaper than California. But everything is, so...   ^_^

I spoke with the owner today and he says if I want to redrill the holes he will rechrome them at no charge. Still waffling.

Seems like everyone but me says keep them smooth...   :rofl:

• Like 2