A Few Questions

DatsunFlyer

Alright guys, I've been working on my goon as much as possible but I do have a couple questions and I know this is the best place to ask them so here they are. 

1) My car has a problem with a smoking tail pipe. It happens a little on the start but even when it gets warm it'll smoke as I drive. I've changed the oil to 5w30 but what to know what oil is best to run/ how i could fix the problem? It is a white/ grayish smoke.

2) I have seen and read a lot of engine swap stuff about the goon. I am currently on break for school so i don't drive it very long distances, but I'll need to get this thing driving and running well at freeway speeds. I'm pretty sure I have an L20 and was wondering if I can put mods or should swap it to make it a little more reliable at high speeds. Any advice? I want to make it my daily drive and need it driving as best as possible.

3) Are there any good stores or websites for parts? I need a good amount of little things? I am always checking the ratsun classifieds and ebay but its not the best resource. 

4) I live in Orange County and think it would be sick to meet some of you guys. So if there are meet ups or something please list below. 

Thanks for all the help in advance. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument with your points gg, but OP says running and driving well at freeway speeds. I would say overdrive helps with driving well at those speeds. But yeah, it should come after a re ring and probably a good carb cleaning and/or rebuild.

• Like 1

Short of rebuilding, put thicker oil in it. At least 20/50w.  5 is like water,meant for modern engines. Consider installing oil press gauge so u can see what she running at. check compression and do compression leak down test. That will tell u more about motor problems.

Pulling the head on an L is an afternoon's work, and that will tell you everything you need to know. Although your L16 is more than up for 75mph, If you decide to swap an L20, unless you know it's history, I'd pull the head before installing it. Easy work for massive peace of mind IMO.

Thank you for all the responses! Yes i have a L20 but will pull the heads off and look at everything. I will go with a thicker oil and yes i do have a 4 speed and I have been constantly thinking about a change to a five speed. A big thank you for places to buy parts, it is a constant struggle. And please keep and advice and tips coming it is greatly appreciated. 

They rent block testers and compression testers for free at O'Reilly auto. You put down a deposit but it's all refunded when you return the tool. But there is a fluid you have to use with the block tester. You have to buy that. It's like 8 whole dollars

Do NOT run anything 5w. It's only good for below 60F and too thin and watery. Run 15w40 Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo 400. At the very least run 10w30 but no less.

How many miles to the quart of oil do you get? If better than a thousand then the smoke is not from burning oil and may be something fixable.

L20B??? you can find out by looking on the top of the block just below the head directly behind the dip stick handle. It's stamped right there.

It's safe to drive at any speed as long as it has lots of fresh oil in it and it's not allowed to over heat.

As for anything that makes it more reliable? Well the later '78 and up L20Bs had an electronic ignition (EI) distributor and coil. It runs without points and has more voltage output. Always good.

You'll know what gaskets you need to replace when you decide how far you will tare down the motor.

Getting the full gasket set is cheaper than getting a few individually. It's like $65 for everything.

_57_1.jpg

datsunflyer\

take things slow if you dont have another car to drive to work then dont bust tthings down unless you know what your doing and have acces to parts right away.

swapping gaskets ?do your really thing its going to change all that much?

What I learned is buy a spare motor on the side and get it rebuilt at your leasure then swap out in a weekend.

5 wt oil is too light.

monitor the oil consumption this will give a indication of a motor rebuild besides oil leaks.

read everything on olddatsuns.com the tech section

External oil leaks are usually (in order)

Valve cover (sometimes excess blow-by from cover vent but this isn't a gasket problem)

Oil pan

Front timing cover crank seal

Oil pressure sender

Fuel pump

All these are easy to replace with the engine in. Pressure wash the grease and oil off problem areas then use brake cleaner to clean even more. Run engine and check often to see where fresh oil appears. Valve cover oil can somtimes flow hoizontaly anong the block before dripping.