1980 200SX had a Z20 engine.

L20B matchbox came in these USA vehicles:

* 1979 200SX (S10)

* 1979 Datsun 510 (A10)

* 1979 Datsun 620

* 1980 Datsun 720

If buying used, there are two things to watch out for:

* Advance plate bearing gone bad ($75)

* Vacuum advance canister not holding vacuum ($30-$100)

CAUTION: These often go bad after 20 years.

Inspect carefully before buying.

If buying new, you will need these used:

* Timing plate

* Distributor Support (pedestal base)

The support is different than L20B points type, though looks similar the spacing is different:

pedestals_c.jpgpedestals_a.jpg

Because the L-series uses an offset-slotted drive, it can be fitted in only one position. This makes getting the correct distributor, pedestal and timing plate very important. It is possible to remove and "re-index" the driveshaft inside the engine, but not recommened. It is possible to use a Z20 matchbox, but all the same problems apply.

• Like 1

Thanks ggzilla it's hard enough trying to find the used matchbox or if I buy it new I'd still have to locate that pedestal so I guess I'm going with Pertronix 2 their newest model wich I read is high energy I found the complete kit with the new coil for $135 with shipping so looks like this will be the way I go thanks everyone for your help and info.

• Like 1

I Just found a 1980 Datsun 200sx near me would the dizzy out of it work for the 620 Lb

It will work IF it has the 4 wire cap on it. Federal wer 4 wire. California ones were all 8 plug, two plugs per cylinder.

I got lucky I have the early 75 L20 with no lobe on the dizzy its single point so would be just a drop in for the Pertronix, but I found a matchbox complete with pedestal thanks to a fellow Ratsuner I should have it this week. Now my other question is should I replace the old sparks plugs I'm running the ones it calls for with points and about the coil any suggestions on wich one I should buy. Going to the junk yard today to see a 1980 200sx maybe I'll get lucky and have the correct dizzy as a back up maybe the coil too.

An HEI module doesn't need a magnetic signal to fire. A points signal works just as well. I've used this setup for a few years.

GEDC0102_zpsd90j1xb0.jpg

points dizzy '76 620.

GEDC0101_zps4xxcg4xc.jpg

Ford remote ign. module, Found mounted on starboard fender of Ford Aerostar vans '86 up. Gray units are non cumputer, black are computer models.

GEDC0103_zpswo197nd7.jpg

HEI coil. This came off a Mercedes, $10. Quite a hot setup. Instant cold starts year round. Point gap set to .010-.012. No point bounce or fiber wear. Points last forever.

I later considered the GM module would be a simpler cheaper install, wired the same as with the remote dist. but "G" would be ground screw and "R" to points. Although the GM, I believe, fires on signall "off" (points close, the Ford is "+" , points open as is also the matchbox). This would retard the timing some and need the dist. advanced.

Last year I wired a matchbox module into my motorcycle points ignition in the same manner. Huge improvement in ease of starting.

Got back from the wrecking yard with No luck on the dizzy out of the 1980 200sx had the dizzy for 8 wires. But I did come across a very clean complete 1976 Datsun b210 had a electronic dizzy with the remote in the car the cap rotor and coil look as they've just been replaced I know it won't fit but I took it all anyway along with the emblems and other misc items. Waiting to get the matchbox tomorrow hopefully I can use the coil I just got from the b210 it says For Use With Electronic Ignition.

1975-1977 Datsun electronic ignition was low-energy. Not until 1978 was the remote ignitor strong enough for a high energy coil.

High energy remote ignitor:

22320.jpg

Use with COIL: 22433-H7280 (same as matchbox coil)

1976-1977 low energy

24381.jpg

Use with COIL: 22433-H73012 & ballast resistor

24380.jpg

So I ended up getting the Matchbox dizzy and with my luck I took it apart to find the breaker plate all broken and the magnet under the ring with the 4 teeth luckily the person I purchased it from was Awesome and is going to take it back but now I'm stuck at square 1 again. There will be a datsloco show this month so I'm going to wait and see what I find maybe get some ideas from other 620 guys. If anyone has anymore information on the Pertronix 2 kit now available I can't seem to get much on it. Thanks.

Or you can use the remote ignitor dizzy and use a GM hei module, works very well and is super cheap to replace if it ever fails. I'm running GM hei on my 510 and my '79 yota pickup, simple installation too.

This is the way i went because of the plastic ball bearing advance plate seems to be destroied in all the matchbox 's I've found.