Matchbox or Pertronix

Bocephus82

Hi fellow Datsuners I'm new to this for and new to the Japanese trucks I've got a 1975 620 I've been working on it's now time for the ignition part to be taken care of so my question to you guys is should I go with the matchbox or the Pertronix 2 kit? Any info is appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you can use the remote ignitor dizzy and use a GM hei module, works very well and is super cheap to replace if it ever fails. I'm running GM hei on my 510 and my '79 yota pickup, simple installation too.

Yes, the 1978 remote ignitot distributor is good.

Matchbox is better:

* Matchboxrs virtually never fail unless wired wrong, battery connected wrong or overheated by incorrect installation.

* integrated wiring also means more reliable.

* matchbox (1979-1982) is easier to find than remote ignitor. Can even buy new distributor for cheap.

should be sold as a set

distributor with the timming plate and the base thats holds it.

Most Morons grab the distributor and forget the base that goes with it thinking , Jack pot then go home and put it on a L16 motor and base dont line up right and car dont start.

If you have a L20 already there were 2 bases. The common 1 most likely will work then theres another.

olddatsuns.com has this in the tech section read this before any undo mishaps

The only thing worse than Pertronix is points.

Can you tell us what is actually wrong with Pertronix, Z ? Or just another one of your opinions

Pertronix is adapted.Any thing adapted is inferior to the factory design and superior part. My opinions are fact.
Guest Rick-rat

It was faster to install my pertronix than to put in new points and condensor, works great and would use again if needed on another Datsun, my opinion, and it's the one that matters to me

It was faster to install my pertronix than to put in new points and condensor, works great and would use again if needed on another Datsun, my opinion, and it's the one that matters to me

Since when does speed of installation have anything to do with quality and/or performance?If you want to bolt inferior parts onto your vehicle,that's great-have at it.Just don't tell people that it's the best option going-because it isn't.

1)Never said it was the best, 2)just what I use, 3)so my weber and disc brakes were a waste of time since they are both (adapted)

1)Then why did you post at all? You really need to work on your reading comprehension, as everyone else said the same thing except they said it in "P.C."-I don't speak "P.C.".You were looking for a fight and you got it and you also lost.

2)Read my posts again-

3)Please show us a factory(Datsun) Weber.What disc set up was used?If it is factory(720/D-21)it is not "adapted" it is factory just like the EI or MB.If you used Wliwood or Baer(or the like)it is performance upgrade. Nice try,though-do play again someday.Enjoy your truck.

Pertronix is good if you have alot of old single point dizzys around(if bushing not worn).Why throw them away. Matchboxes are getting harder to find. or even the 1st Gen EI which are good also.

I use Pertronix and love them.

matchbox is a hotter spark as you dont run a ballast and use a .7 ohm coil.

But most cases YOUR not going to notice the difference. Dont have to worry about points again!!!!!!!

Guest Rick-rat

1)Then why did you post at all? You really need to work on your reading comprehension, as everyone else said the same thing except they said it in "P.C."-I don't speak "P.C.".You were looking for a fight and you got it and I lost

2)I need remedial reading and comprehension classes

3)Please show us a factory(Datsun) Weber.What disc set up was used?If it is factory(720/D-21)it is not "adapted" it is factory just like the EI or MB.If you used Wliwood or Baer(or the like)it is performance upgrade. Nice try,though-do play again someday.Enjoy your truck.

Not looking for a fight, OP wanted to know about Matchbox or Petronix. I merely said I use Petronix. Just because everyone else said Matchbox doesn't mean it is right. Everything you say is just an opinion because you have not backed anything you say with undisputable (facts). Weber was not factory Datsun, therefore it was adapted to my Datsun

Thanks for all the good info. I really wanted to go with a matchbox but can't seem to find one anywhere I've been searching eBay, Amazon,Craigslist, and calling some junk yards with no luck I even posted a add for one here on the classified adds but anyhow I'll wait till Friday if I get lucky if not I'll just go with the Pertronix I read they now have a kit wich is the Pertronix 2 for the 620. Also on eBay there's a brand called Hot Shot out of Texas that's makes a kit like Pertronix and also a complete new EI dizzy brand new for $120 has anyone had any experience with this company from eBay.

Pertronix Ignitor II is now available

* points replacement * high energy

* only a bit more expensive than a new matchbox distributor

* fits the old, small cap distributors (Hitachi D41)

Nissan factory matchbox

* Remanufactured distributor $120

* used $30 at pull-n-pick

* has large cap for less chance of spark tracking

* super reliable

Hot Spark

* points replacement

* low energy