missing VIN plate

Ok I picked up a 66 520 to go along with my 68i still have but this one is a shell and stripped down frame. No motor or trans or suspension.

The owner hasn't been able to locate the data/Vin plate so I'm wondering if it's possible to have one made or if I'm going to have to find one of another Datsun or what. Any ideas guys?

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all my years I've never had DMV, or cop check a VIN on any vehicle I've owned. License plate number, current registration, move along. if somehow it came up, and you didn't have the right tags, I can imagine shit might get sticky though. I have a shiny new ebay VIN tag on my Dime, but I know that thing ante fooling anyone. Stands out like a flamingo in a biker bar.

• Like 2

Paradime I'm always getting my trucks searched when I get pulled over, the cops around here don't like me much Lol

Datsunaholic thank you for the location of the frame vin.

If I remember correctly my 68 had the vin plate on it with Phillips screws, shouldn't they be roset rivets? If not I'll just get a repro one off eBay and stamp it.

I appreciate everyone's comments

• Like 1

My 66 520 has the screw on plate on the center of the firewall and the frame # on top oft the frame rail between the firewall and the front upper suspension tower.  Arizona requires 2 matching numbers, but non of the MVD personnel I have dealt with have any idea where the numbers are.  LOL

• Like 1

Paradime I'm always getting my trucks searched when I get pulled over, the cops around here don't like me much Lol

Datsunaholic thank you for the location of the frame vin.

If I remember correctly my 68 had the vin plate on it with Phillips screws, shouldn't they be roset rivets? If not I'll just get a repro one off eBay and stamp it.

I appreciate everyone's comments

I was young once too. It took a long time to figure out that this was a cops way to tell you to smarten up, stay out of certain known 'bad' neighborhoods, stop driving like a dick and get your vehicle fixed. Fines and tickets are just a tax on stupidity. When I think of all the money thrown away on fines that I could have spent on my car....

• Like 1

I was young once too. It took a long time to figure out that this was a cops way to tell you to smarten up, stay out of certain known 'bad' neighborhoods, stop driving like a dick and get your vehicle fixed. Fines and tickets are just a tax on stupidity. When I think of all the money thrown away on fines that I could have spent on my car....

That'd be well and fine if that was the case and not an assumption. It's a small town with a lot of older country folk that don't like the "punk kids" with the bagged and bodied minis. Though middle age not a kid anymore Lol
  • Like 1

Raised in San Diego and Portland, Or. NEVER had a car worth more than $500 that whole time. Vega, Mazda 616, Datsun 411 sedan, bug, Datsun 320..the list goes on. All painted by spray can, funky mufflers, bumpers tied on, broken wind shields. I was poor and it showed. Moved out of the house at 15, so I did what I could.

Point of story, never, never, never botheted by the police..UNLESS I broke the law.

I grew up in SD too Eric, and drove the rattiest cars and bikes on the road in my day. I was a punker in the land of the free though. The term "free" seemed only applied to military, and clean cut surfer kids in Mission Hills / Point Loma. Cops used to hunt me for sport because I looked different and had a "bad attitude". In all the times I was pulled over though, I was never asked to show a cop my VIN plate. I was however searched for every other contraband item, or bureaucratic infraction imaginable. I used to hang at a punk bar called the Pink Panther right next to I 5. Cops would right down license plate number of POS cars parked out front. I'm sure there was some kind of "bad element" hit list, because there's no way it was just the odds I was getting pulled over at least once a week. In hindsight, I guess it worked, cuz I got the hell out of there.