• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we are having all kinds of fun getting ready 

simple water pump change     

nope had to break the bolt then broke it flush then drilled and broke the tap 

thIMG_20160530_170120554_HDR_zpsmln0vgv8.je timing chain cover had some previous bad damage before so off with the head and on with a new cover IMG_20160602_221049606_zps5df7vtc3.jpg

IMG_20160602_221106677_zpsnric1uqc.jpg

the new cover looks much better 

IMG_20160601_213041162_zpsf8jy0efe.jpg

then this 

funny noises leads to removing the starter to see whats going on 

and the exhaust header collector flange is toast

something wrong this is supposed to be one piece

IMG_20160603_233059179_zpsk87ta7qp.jpg

WTF is up with all these broken taps lately?.....seriously!.....China?

Yeah I had a timing cover bolt break into the block. I work across from a machine shop and he does favors, so I brought it to him and he made me disassemble the bottom end. Luckily I was building the motor, so breaking it down wasn't too big a deal.

• Like 1

First the hole must be the correct size and not too small or the tap will have to act like a drill also. For every 1/4 to 1/3 turn in, you have to back the tap up to break off the newly cut away aluminum then forward again. Think two steps forward, one step back. Don't try to cut one continuous thread until done. Won't hurt to back it out and remove the chips every now and then also.

• Like 1

I was 5 or six threads in and 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time and it broke backing it out 

it was a craftsman tap and I think the other ones say made in china 

all I know is I was on the home stretch with the tap and had to do alot more work 

I wanted to change the cover anyways because ot the damage behind the water pump but was going to wait till later 

If you broke the tap backing it out then you pushed on it in a lateral direction and snapped the hard steel.

maybe I suck 

or the tool sucked 

it was bound up when i tried to reverse it 

It was probably a high carbon steel tap and not a high speed steel (HSS) tap.  Most affordable sets are high carbon steel.  They don't hold up as well and are prone to breaking for those of us in-the-field mechanics ;)  Do yourself a favor and buy HSS taps one at a time as needed.  They may cost you more per part, but do you really want to spend an extra 4-8 hours fixing a broken tap to save $10?

• Like 4

First the hole must be the correct size and not too small or the tap will have to act like a drill also. For every 1/4 to 1/3 turn in, you have to back the tap up to break off the newly cut away aluminum then forward again. Think two steps forward, one step back. Don't try to cut one continuous thread until done. Won't hurt to back it out and remove the chips every now and then also.

That's how my dad used to do it and I do so the same way, I only saw a tap break on my dad once and he cursed China.....I had one break too and it was Taiwan....meh.