Olde Skool 610

docbainey

Greetings Ratsuners.

I've finally got some time to work on my 610. 2nd owner since 1977. The car was my daily driver twice and it has been parked for along time here and there. The last time the car really saw any use was attending SCCA driving schools in the mid 90s maybe? At the time it was prepped for ITB and that's where it has kinda sat for a while. Actually quite a while. Something like 68000 total miles, lowered some, with at the time where Datsun comp 'euro' springs front, cut down roadster springs in the rear front & rear Mulholland shocks and sway bars.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

1973 bumpers

DSCF0004.jpg

Original interior, no cracked dash either!

DSCF0005.jpg

Cosmic wheels, Goodyear Eagle 'S' track tires

DSCF0006.jpg

Northeast Ohio car all its life so it has some rust, but remarkably in over all good shape. Its supposed to be nice tomorrow so Im gonna try and dig it out of its resting place and get it fired up. All the hydraulics need attention for sure, we shall see!

• Like 3
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this pig running like 5 or so years ago. Royal pita, couple valves where stuck open, had to take the tank out and get the scale out. Hopefully not to jacked up this time. Stored with no coolant at least and it has an electric fuel pump.  If no stuck valves and some decent fuel this time, I'll take the plugs out and crank it to get some oil pressure, then fire it off. Ah, the best layed plans!

welcome

followed! I see a head, and Intake and I think a Weber downdraft on the shelves. Tell us more aboot everything Datsun that you have and post several pics of everything inside and out. Especially old '70's stuff/mods that may not be known aboot anymore.

try not to stare at my signature. 

• Like 1

Its ALIVE!  :thumbup:   Just not drivable  :( Rear brakes are locked up, That's another day  On with the oics

DSCF0001.jpg

What a cluster fk!

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Look at all this shit!!!!!

DSCF0006.jpg

Merry Christmas to me! :hyper: DSCF0008.jpg

All this crap was in the trunk!

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Hope you died a miserable death! :fu: DSCF0015.jpg

I paid like $8 for that AP pressure plate B) DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Un frozen now

DSCF0029.jpg

welcome

followed! I see a head, and Intake and I think a Weber downdraft on the shelves. Tell us more aboot everything Datsun that you have and post several pics of everything inside and out. Especially old '70's stuff/mods that may not be known aboot anymore.

try not to stare at my signature. 

Like this!

Picture003.jpg

Its made to have a carb mounted on the intake side of the turbo. The best carb to use is an SU. I bought that turbo in the mid 70s for my 1st 510. Never installed it, but I rebuilt it with new seals etc. Got parts for it from a place in Texas, I think was called turbo city? It was a rhay jay turbo? It came off of a pinto. I dont have an exhaust manifold for it of course, so ive been hauling it around for years. If you look at the exhaust housing, its completely different then modern turbos.

Slow going, Ive decided, since I have to re-build the rear brakes, Im going to upgrade. Ordered a set of carbon metalic brake shoes, some used Z aluminum drums and some Koni shocks. The weather here has regressed back to cold, so not much is going to get done. Once the rear is done it will be time to do the front. I have some NOS carrera race shocks somewhere for the front and ordered a pair of 1980? 510 calipers. Lots stiffer then the oe 610. I already have some killer pads, 'metal masters', cant buy this sht any more, something about being a health hazard. Thats when u know the shts good!!! pics to come.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back in the garage

DSCF0002_1.jpg

Carbon metallic shoes, actually made in Japan :o

DSCF0001_1.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new :thumbup:

DSCF0005_1.jpg

DSCF0004_1.jpg\

DSCF0007.jpg

Oh, the joy of Datsun ownership! :frantics:  Needed to rebuild the wheel cylinder, figured I might as well rebuild the adjuster while I'm there. Wire brushed all the scale off the backing plate and hit it with flat black. Rattle can in all its splendor.

DSCF0011.jpg

Off to Summit to get some bushings for the shock eyes

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got this pig on the ground. Upgraded front calipers and Z drums in the rear. For some unknown reason I cant post pics from photofuckit :confused:

I get this error mssg

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

DSCF0002.jpg

Left to right late 510 1980?, late 610,710,200sx, early 510,610 710

DSCF0006_1.jpg

Late 510 caliper is much stiffer, bolts right on

DSCF0009_1.jpg

Finished

DSCF0019.jpg

Hole were the gas pedal used to be

DSCF0021_1.jpg

interior shot, look ma, no cracks in the dash!

DSCF0015_1.jpg

Finally the car sees the light of day

DSCF0014_1.jpg

Half this crome needs to go back on the car

DSCF0017.jpg

lotsa rust spots

DSCF0025_1.jpg

Another project - put the rear sway bar back on

off to get a fan belt

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I actually did some work yesterday. Changed the 32/36 out for another 32/36 thats been laying on the shelf for 20years. The first carb was off a 70s capri. Ive had that one on there since the 80s. Its always been a little 'fat' but hey, thats better then burning a motor up. The second one I got off some long forgot Datsun in a junk yard. It was cool, didn't clean it or rebuild it, sprayed a little wd to get the buterflies moving and magic, it runs! Sounds really crisp, Idles good, of course the only problem is with the linkage. The capri carb opned in a different direction then this one, but I was able to find most of the original linkage in my linkage box, but it still needs tweaked, it only opens around 3/4 throttle.  On a side note, I found some forgoten treasure in the linkage box, A Roadster shift knob in great shape :thumbup:     

I need to find some tires, the 30 yr old Goodyears are a bit hard . There appears to be no US market for P185/70R13 type tires,  yet alone performance tires :confused:  Found some good Bridgestone Potenzas, but there in India. I should try and hit them up with their free shipping!!!

• 3 months later...

Been a while, tried to fix a small water leak that turned into a large cluster fk!!! funny how that works. Three broken bolts later

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

And massive quantities of alcohol consumption, I still need to drill out the distr. bolt. But I did go Christmas shopping!!

DSCF0001.jpg

ZX close ratio box, this came out of a 5/79 car and should have been the mid ratio box, guess you cant believe everything you read on the net  duh!!

DSCF0002.jpg

4.11 open suby diff

DSCF0003.jpg

3.70 clutch pack suby lsd, Question? where does one find the torx socket to remove the stubs? or is it a dealer 'special' tool, don't really want to use the cut off wheel to cut threw the stub and bolt

DSCF0006.jpg

Not that I had enough to work on. Once it warms up a little, I'll will have to rebuild the zx box then put the lsd carrier into the 4.11 after I rebuild the clutch pack. In the meantime I hear St Pauli Girl calling me, mmm beer