Before Halfway and After pic of my new Barn Find 70 Goon the last 6 weeks Ive had it....

Evaded

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo Ive been working on getting this thing back on the road. Looks like I may have a couple dead cylinders. I have the opportunity to buy an L20B with Dual Weber carbs for what I think is a good price. It was pulled from a running 2dr for a swap. Since my car is so Original and im the second owner, should I just rebuild my L16 or just buy the L20B?  Im not going for speed, just a good daily driver. Is there a clearance issue with the L20B, Thought I saw that somewhere?

Thanks

Eric

I have the opportunity to buy an L20B with Dual Weber carbs for what I think is a good price. It was pulled from a running 2dr for a swap. Since my car is so Original and im the second owner, should I just rebuild my L16 or just buy the L20B? 

L20b. Definitely.  :thumbup:

Im not going for speed, just a good daily driver.

Good, because that's exactly what an L20b is good for.   ^_^

Is there a clearance issue with the L20B, Thought I saw that somewhere?

If you use the stock 510 oil pan and pickup tube, you will be fine. Most run into clearance issues when running the wrong pan, or when buying new aftermarket motor mounts (they tend to be taller than the stock mounts). 

And you can always slot the holes in the engine brackets to make it sit down lower.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Awesome... Is $1200 a fair price for the L20B with dual Webers? 

If the carbs are clean and in good working order, yes. Those carb setups often change hands well over $600. 

What do I do about the throttle cable which I dont have now?

Install a throttle cable.   B)

It's not tough to find a donor in the junkyard that you can take a pedal and cable from. The stock pedal sucks anyway.   ^_^

You want to find something with throttle body injection, with the throttle body on the driver's side to get the right length cable. Or possibly some FWD Hondas? Most cables are pretty "universal" so you can get a pedal from one car and a cable from another. For cables and pedals look for early 80s Japanese stuff. 

On 510s, I've used the 79-83 280ZX pedal, the 80-83 200SX pedal, and the 84-88 300ZX pedal. All were fairly easy to install. 

• Like 1