Loren O's daily driven '70 510 goon.

Loren O

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this car not running for $400. I eventually got it to run& kinda drive, but it would just barely move under it's own power. With A LOT of help from Wagon Dave, we swapped out the l16/column shift automatic, in favor of an L20b& 280z 5 speed.

here's a couple of early pic's. IMG00006my%2070%20%20510%20wagon.jpgImportedPhotos00099.jpg

• Like 2

Have you ever done something to your car, that seemed like a great idea at the time, but you regretted it later, if not immediately? I painted the stripes(the paint was supposed to be a lime green) on & immediately wished I hadn't. It came out looking like a :John Deere" edition. I fairly quickly painted over the stripes with as close to the body color as I could find at the time.my70Datsun510.jpg2012-04-21180733.jpg

I drove the car like this all over the state, to work, to shows, to & from the hospital bringing 2 of our families 5 children home from being born. This car is definitely considered a part of the family.2013-08-11115140.jpg2014-02-08112535-1.jpgIMG00502.jpg[/url2013-06-08145635.jpg20140609_173659.jpg

• Like 3

I never really liked the 200sx snowflakes on this car, just not enough lip to them. Luckily for me Dave Patterson has a thing for this style of wheel. He had a set of "Iron Cross " wheels that he didn't like, & offered to trade with me. I jumped at the chance, & swapped them on during the 2014 Blue Lake Datsun show. I really think they look a lot better on this car, than the snowflakes. 20140810_071708.jpg20140810_184009-1.jpg

• Like 3

About 3 years ago, I was driving home from work in Wilsonville, when a car pulled out of the McDonald's next to Fry's,& spun out right in front of me. I had 2 choices. A slow controlled slide into a curb, or plow into the car that had spun out in front of me. I chose the curb. there was not noticeable damage, the car doesn't pull to either side, doesn't wear tires unusually, but it does wear out one of the passenger side front brake pads,& has completely destroyed 3 passenger side front inner wheel bearings. I'm finally going to fix this problem permanently, & also bring the car down to a more respectable height. I bought some 2" lowering blocks from Just Joel, & some strut tubes, spindles, hubs, etc from Draynor. I'm also installing KYB front struts (for a VW Rabbit),& new KYB rear shocks. The front inner bearing has gotten so bad, that the wheel wobble makes it difficult to drive. The car has sat in the driveway for 2 months, hopefully, all will go smoothly with swapping all these parts,& I will be back on the road in this in a couple weeks! FB_IMG_1424028357480.jpg

• Like 1

My new rear shocks came in the mail today! Now all I need to do is put a coat of paint on the lowering blocks I bought from Just Joel,& I'm ready to bring the back end of my car down to a more respectable height. 20150417_165845.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the Lowering blocks. FB_IMG_1429051025344.jpg

here's a picture of the KYB ,"Rabbit" struts, & the coil over collars I will be using for the front end. I'm seriously considering painting the parts that are blue, black, so they don't stand out so much.FB_IMG_1429051516231_1.jpg

The coil over collars& springs were given to me by a former Co- worker of mine from NAPA. He thought they were originally for his accord, but they had been sitting in his garage for quite awhile.

• Like 1

I picked up a larger diameter sway bar for $20 from a friend who had a spare. I'm seriously considering putting on roll center adjusters (bump steer spacers) if I can find a set I can afford.IMG_20150421_114631.jpg

• Like 2

It just Occurred to me that I had a few pictures of the last time I had to replace the right front inner wheel bearing, that has my car sitting in the driveway right now. This will be the 3rd time I have replaced it, so this time I'm changing out the hubs also, along with lowering the car.

please pardon the old cel phone pictures. 2012-09-01180127.jpg2012-09-01180113.jpg[/url2012-09-01180205.jpg

You take those pictures on the Oregon coast? Cause them pictures be foggy. :)

But better than no pictures at all! Good work.

sadly, not at the coast. I took those pictures with my old BlackBerry Curve. Funny thing is, at the time I thought it took pretty good pictures, until I got my Samsung vibrant. I thought that was great too, until I got my s5. They sure know how to keep customers coming back, don't they? Always something better on the new model. Car manufacturers should be taking notes.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did a little work to get my Goon presentable for Canby next weekend.

I'm not done yet by a long shot. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to mask & paint the "Iron Cross" center area on my wheels. I also need to clean up the inside of the car. It gets messy in there because I drive it every day. 20150607_170136.jpg20150607_181615.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...