question about paint codes

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of looks like the same picture, twice.

It is very hard to get an exact match, because the paint on the car could be 45 years old, of it could also been repainted at sometime.  I believe Datsun used an Alkyd enamel, and that was not a "new" paint type when the car was made.  I am doing some repainting on my 521 trucks and am finding out a paint I use on them is being discontinued.

Are you trying to do a spot repair on your 510, or an overall paint?  Even with a "correct" paint code from you car, that it left the factory with, there is a good possibility that there is not an equivalent modern paint, but a good paint store should be able to tint a paint to the match you want.

• Like 1

Ya I'm sorry but photo bucket keeps posting the same pick even when I click on a different pic

I will try to fix

No I want to reprint my engine bay

The out side is fine for its age

But when I look at other cars it looks to match what people would call mustard

But when I look up the mustard paint code on goggle it has about 3 different mustard paint codes all with different numbers

I'll try to edit the first post with a different pic

Farmer

• Like 1

You can use acrylic enamel.  I use Dupont Centari, with 793S hardener in it.

You MUST wear an approved respirator with this combination of paint and hardener.   Even when mixing the paint.

Acrylic enamels are also old school paints.  More modern are urethane paints.  Although you should not ever breathe urethane paint vapors either, I believe they are less toxic than acrylics.

You can also go with a base coat/clear coat system, most modern cars do that.  You can get a really glossy finish, but it is too glossy, and does not look period correct for our old Datsuns.

• Like 1