Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

finished installing the air con last night

http://www.dx.com/p/...79#.WKY_Mfl96Uk

16b0nbd.jpg

#122 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Cool !!

No pun intended !!

Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy !!

#123 emceefarlane

emceefarlane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cars:320

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

it's surprising how much a little air movement in the cabin helps and the difference it makes here in aus

i already won't take the car out if it's going to be over 30°, once it heats up it's almost unbearable. this helps when you're pulled up at the lights and not moving any air through the triangle windows

anyone know other models of vehicle that have wheel nuts that will fit - looking at heading to a wrecking yard to grab a set (mine are all munted, missing caps, different sizes etc)

did a quick google and forum search but nothing definitive

cheers

#124 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

I had one of those in my 320. It was mounted to the tunnel.

#125 emceefarlane

emceefarlane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

Chasing a pair of the lowered LCA's in Aus if anyone knows of any?

#126 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,297 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

You can lower it quite a bit if you trim the bump stops a little and re-index the torsion bars.

Mike K doesn't make drop arms very often, not a large demand for them.

I would be surprised if you could even use them over there, you have a lot of rules over there about that kind of stuff.

#127 emceefarlane

emceefarlane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

oh no they definitely wouldn't be legal - we do have some very strict modification rules but sometimes you have to run the gauntlet

i think the bump stops on mine are already quite small - maybe only like an inch?

i saw a set of lca's for sale in aus probably six months ago but by the time pay day rolled around the bloke had already sold them

#128 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,297 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

My 521 has late 620 lower control arm bushings installed in it, this allowed me to install late 620/early 720 lower ball joint control arms and the late 620 disc brake tension rods, with adjustable tie rods you likely can use 720 drop spindles.

The upper control arms are harder to deal with, but if done with care, you could make 2 sets of 720 upper control arms into one set(lengthening them likely 3/4 of an inch), then smoothing the outside, then adding 620 bump stop bottom pieces to the control arms to close the bottom of the arm(box it) where it was modified, then drill the upper control arm mount holes and thread them for 720 mount bolts.

This will give you a ball joint front end with 85/86 720 vented rotor disc brakes, if you wanted to use your 320 rims then you would have to do Charlie69s lower control arm mod, but this will be impossible to hide, but if you just use a stock spindle your 320 rims will work with a little grinding of the rivets inside the rim, or use 521/620 rims without mods.

You would still be using your stock 320 steering column this way and it would not look scabbed together, but anyone that knows their stuff would know this is way safer than what the truck came with stock, but it would not be stock anymore nor would it look stock even though you are not changing the frame nor welding anything onto it, there is a little more involved but this is basically what I did to my 521 work truck around 12/13 years ago and most on here have seen the loads I have hauled with that truck, sure I had issues, but I addressed the worst one above, and I am not suggesting you put power steering in yours which really caused me some issues that I do not have a fix for except to modify the frame. 

Now I have heard some stories about 320s over there, one was that they wanted a collapsible steering column installed, so they are not against changing things for the better, but I have no idea what would be involved engineering wise to satisfy the inspectors. 

Were the LCAs you saw for sale stock or were they drop arms?

#129 emceefarlane

emceefarlane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

wayno - they were the Z'd type modified by mike. 521 is the same as 510 but different from 520 and 320?

new shoes :)

2uihv2h.jpg

x4nfcl.jpg

has too much rake and i need to sort out bump stops for the front and spacers for the rear but it works. also while i was reindexing i found a bunch or bushes i should change over.

#130 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,297 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

The 320, 520, and 521 are basically the same, there are some differences, but over all they look the same and are interchangeable.

The 320 LCA needs the lower control arm bolt to mount it to the frame, if your using a 521 LCA on a 320 you will need the 520/521 LCA bolt to mount it, you see the 320 LCA has to different sized holes in it while the 520/521 LCA has both holes the same size to mount it.

You can drill the 320 arm hole to except the 521 mount bolt, but the 320 bolt can only be used on a 320 LCA.

That 320 has some rake to it, if you can find some Datsun/Nissan 720 leafs I would go that way first, then put some lowering blocks in if you need them.