Axle seal leak 66 datsun roadster

I have got a 66 datsun roadster that ijust finished doing brakes on and of course after driving it a bit i see i have gear oil leaking on the inside of my right rear tire. I am assuming a seal needs replaced, but does this mean i have a bad bearing. I dont really notice any play in the wheel. What else could cause a seal to go bad? Simply age?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, seals go bad with age, but also with wear. They rub against the axle.

Just replace the seal. I've never had to replace a Datsun wheel bearing. You will need to repack the wheel bearing. I recommend heavy non-disc brake wheel bearing grease so that it blocks the gear oil.

I wouldnt dwell to much on it. Both my seals on my 521 went out .

The drum center will get oily.

Try to find a Jap seal or a seal with the double lip inner. I have seen the others that dont have it.

Its EZ to changed out. I pressure was the back side of drum to get much dirt out so it dont contaiminate stuff later.

when putting the axle back in just try to get it in so the axle dont rest on the seal. Its kinda hard But if I can do it so can you.

I assume the axle is same as a 521 type with the 4 nuts in back and you pull out the axle