521 front cover issues

JmanTehan

Hey guys, 

I have recently been replacing the head gasket on my 521 that has been used for a ranch truck for the past 25 years because I'm trying to turn it into my daily driver. I also put in new timing kit just cause i had it all out and open so why not.

My issues are lying within putting the front cover back on. First off there are various bolts missing, so i am curious if i can get a kit with all of the bolts in it. The reason for wanting to replace all of the bolts is that i purchased a couple for the missing bolts but when i went to tourque the cover on i have broken two of the old bolts already. I have successfully gotten the broken bolts out because there was enough thread once i got the cover off to get them out and they both were finger tight. It is really getting very frustrating and now i am to the point where i just want all new bolts. Does anyone have information on all of the sizes or a kit i can purchase with all of the correct bolts in it?

At this point i feel like everytime i touch a bolt on the cover it breaks. Am i being a dumbass and doing someone wrong? I am not experienced in this sort of thing what so ever so please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What year? If '70 and up it's an L series. Go to any wrecking yard and help yourself. Breaking them off could be using too long a bolt in a short bolt hole... some holes are blind and they will bottom out OR you are torquing them way too much.

8mm diameter 7-9 ft labs

6mm bolts 3-4 ft lbs.

Yes it is a 1971 521 1600 with the L16 Thanks for the junk yard tip probably going to go see if i can find some here in a little bit!

Yeah i was torquing them at like 3 pounds so I'm thinking and hoping its just the old bolts. Is there and actual set of bolts just for this or am i going to need to order them separately? 

I have been trying to post pictures but I cannot for some reason. It says that i am unable to post pictures in this community. Is this because i am a new member or am i missing something?

Thanks guys 

This is awesome!