just picked up a 1969 521

Slappy707

Been out of the datsun game for awhile but glad to finally be back.

Just picked up this 1969 521 with a l20 swap. Hasn't ran in about a year so that'll be the first step. According to the previous it had a fuel issue.

I'll also be starting a build thread soon hopefully

At work I'll upload pics when I get home

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Step one, make sure the brakes work.

Step two, just drop the fuel tank, clean it out.  Take it to a good radiator shop, if necessary.

Stop by an auto parts store on the way home, buy some 1/4 low pressure fuel hose, replace all the rubber hoses from the fuel tank to the fuel pump.7

• Like 1

thank for helping with the upload. 

Already replaced fuel pump and the hoses yesterday. still need to replace the neck hose tho.

Going to flush radiator as well or just replace with aluminum like i had on my 510 awhile back.

I haven't had a chance to look at the brakes so im not sure what condition they will be in, im sure it wont be to good tho.

Its getting fuel now tho and its wanting to turn over but hasn't yet. ran out of daylight yesterday so i be working on it today and ill post some more pictures. 

Also it still has the 4 speed.

And i'm planning on just keeping the patina look just clear coating it and fixing up interior. Body is actually really straight it has no bondo and only a few small dents surprisingly.

• Like 1

And i'm planning on just keeping the patina look???????? I thought the same thing!!!!!!!!!!

fuel dilevery?

pull output of pump hose crank and see if gas shoots out. If yes then look at carb squirting gas fromm accell pump then look at spark.

15min job.

assume its electric as I dont see a manual fuel pump on there.

see those funky red wires gon to the distrubutor??? Where the stock wiring at? The blkwht wire ?

I would just run it thrn see what it does before taking all this stuff apart. 1 year isnt that long not running

• Like 1

Yea I actually got it running the other night for a few seconds. Disconnected the fuel line because it just kept flooding really bad. So let her air out and just ran her with the fuel left in the carb and she ran great while the fuel lasted. Took carb apart and I'm pretty sure I found the issue. So just waiting a the rebuild kit now. And when I got it there was a Manuel pump installed and the old electric was still hooked up not sure what was going on so took off both and installed new electric pump. Gonna throw on a pressure regulator just to be safe tho

Carb did have a pretty good amount of dirt tho so ill probably be cleaning out the tank soon too

• Like 1

The mechanical fuel pump put out about 2 to 3 PSI.  most electric fuel pumps put out more, and the higher pressure overpowers the float, and the carb bowl floods.

The stock mechanical pump has a spring, that pushes the fuel pump diaphragm.  When the float bowl in the carb is full, the pressure in the fuel line to the carb holds the diaphragm down, and the fuel pump does not pump fuel, that the carb does not need.

You will have fewer problems with a mechanical fuel pump back on your engine.

• Like 1

You will have fewer problems with a mechanical fuel pump back on your engine.

I would go with this myself. Maybe thats why it was flooding out.

Also ck the fuel liter if one installed You can detect how bad a tank is by the filter as 521s the fuel hose is in the wheelwell and dirt gets down the hose and water with then rust the tank and gets in the idle jet.

As for the rebuilt kit I would adjust the mixture first before tearing in to a carb

Took carb apart and I'm pretty sure I found the issue. ??????????the suspense is killing me

Patina is good but paiting back to the org blu would look good also

• Like 1

Carb was flooding. Which is usually not solved by a carb kit. And not caused by dirt inside the carb.

Most common cause is fuel pressure too high. Other causes include float level too high, float pin not correctly put together (missing spacer?), or bad needle/seat assembly.

• Like 1

One of the diaphragm in the carb actually had a sliver of metal from a screw I think stuck which was holding the diaphragm open. I think it was the accelerator pump. Honestly don't know a whole lot about carbs but I figured either way it would need to be gone through. Gonna borrow a friend's pressure regulator see if that helps too if not I'll just switch back to Manuel like you guys recomended. Thanks for the help.

Also I've got a few extra parts including but not limited to a gauge cluster and grill if anyone's interested in trading

• Like 1

A carb kit causes many problems. Search here for experiences. Likewise regulators can cause problems.

Measure the fuel pressure and if its 3 to 4 Psi call it good.

As for the carb, remove the foreign object, put it back together and see how she runs.

• Like 1

Yea the only thing is if I switch back to the manual fuel pump is I don't have the spacer that I need.

I still need to cut out the floor boards and put in some new sheet mmetal so I've got some time to get her running good.

Any idea how of thick of metal I should use for the floor boards ?