78 Datsun b210

Akujin

Hello, new to the site. Hoping on getting some good tips on restoring this little guy. I know i know everyone likes standard cars but mine is an automatic. I would like to have it optomized and be as good as it can be. What do you guys think. Datsun2_zpscjchcch4.jpg

Datsun1_zpsjr2ctdtc.jpg

Datsun3_zps7xxl9z7y.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome akujin. Nice looking girl you got there. What's under the hood? What have you done so far? How bad is the rust? Looks to be a little bit of surface on the rear panel above the license plate.

Whatre the plans? You gonna do a tranny swap and go five speed or stay auto?

These cars bring back some memories...

I had a friend back in high school (early 1990's) who got one of these for his first car. It was powder-blue, automatic, and from the little old lady who died scenario. Always garaged and twenty-something thousand miles. It was basically brand new. I remember just being in awe at how clean it was.

A few weeks later he rolled it over. The drivers front corner of the roof was pushed was down, otherwise the car was still perfect. Perfect all those years, then a few weeks with a teenager.... what a shame!

Nice start! My first advice is think about removing those ding strips. They look a lot better imo without them. Here is my coupe:

IMG_20150105_162545_zpsa09bbb16.jpg

I've cleaned it up and got it running since then, but this was how it looked when I got it home.

As far as making it the best it can be, these were economy cars with some room for improvement, but with the amount of power you'll get from it, you are probably better off just keeping it stock with minor upgrades. Then you have a sweet ride that can be really reliable, has great fuel economy, and still turns heads as you drive around town.

If you are really wanting to get more power, and your goals are higher than 120hp at the wheels, expect to spend a lot on machining and forced induction, ot swapping in an engine. Also, you'd have to look at upgrading the rear end and braking system to be safe. Good luck with the build. It looks like I bought you car's dirty older sister :P

Im not looking to get more power or anything like that. I want to keep it as original as possible just optimize it. Let's see... I had the engine rebuilt so it's still original. I lost the temperature gage and fuel gage so I'm driving blind. I drive my car everyday going to work and back. Its very reliable and passes smog check! I took really good care of it and now I just want to take better care of it. Medium grade gas. Going to do a tune up soon and was hoping for some advice for best oil and sparkplug and things of that sort. Ah I had it parked outside and some jackass crashes into it head on... Busted my front right tire but he totaled his car lol... Never caught the guy... Anyways so yeah she has a dent on the sides :(

• 4 weeks later...