Purging air from a14 head

dpm

As you can see I am new to this stuff.  I just installed a remanufactured head on my 77 b210.  Is there anything I need to do to purge the air out of the head?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prestone makes a fluhing Tee fitting.  Install it in the higheast point of the heater hose.  When you top out at the raditor, add fluid at the tee until the fluid level is flush with the Tee, you should now be full, squeeze the heater and radiator hoses and you may get a few burps.  Cap the Tee and enjoy!

Not needed with an A14, where the radiator cap is the highest part.

After your first warm-up, let it cool then top up the radiator. In other words don't plan any trips immediately after changing the radiator. Let it go through one cooling cycle first.

Air isn't known to be a problem.

It's happened to us a few times on A-series engines. There is a spot at the back of the head where air likes to hide on occasion. Jacking it up high in the front and taking the cap off for awhile seems to fix it, though. 

But it doesn't happen every time, so...