Bunch of projects thread

12:45-2:15... clean edges.. finish trim for good fit on ends... go through the clamp/trim/tack along the horizontal weld... hammer n dolly as needed. Next up is to final weld the tacks... once that is done onto the verticles and finally the wheel arch then the trunk drop off spotwelds

20150415_132403_zpsyexidbnl.jpg 20150415_133243_zpsrccm7u1q.jpg 20150415_134911_zpsflaimh1n.jpg 20150415_134933_zpsnp2zshof.jpg 20150415_141529_zpspgdocrem.jpg

Any questions... just ask

• Like 4
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes... the gap is minimal if any using body saw. Sometimes i will use a .030 cut off wheel if i dont have "blade clearance" behind the panel.

Also on a panel like this... i do the long horizontal weld first while the panel is loose and free to move. Allowing the panel movement helps control distortion. Since anytime you put heat to sheetmetal... it moves.

• Like 1

Had this been a repair where it was going to get body/paint.... i would have stayed further away from the body lines.

Just personal preference.. i actually started out in the streetrod body/paint biz and evolved to the metal work side almost exclusively. So when i do repair work, i usually try to put seams where it will be most efficient for the next phase of a project. A lot more comes into play... such as access behind the panel to work any distortion that happens.

No 2 projects are ever the same... im not affraid to try new techniques because its just metal and you can always replace it with more metal if needed.

• Like 1

So I take by your comments that MIG welding isnt recommended for welding sheetmetal? Im about to fix some floor patches and Ive only successfully welded with MIG...and thick ass steel. Any preferred settings for a 220V stick welder? I might give it a try since we have all sorts of rods here

Mig welding is perfectly acceptable for floor pans and structural rust rapair. For example... the bluebird floor repair is all mig welded. When i get to the actual sheetmetal panel welding... i will tig weld it.

Having said that... in some cases it is simply not practical to tig weld on outer panels... replacing spot welds.... if there is contamination behind, such as old seam sealer that is impossible to remove... or if there is porosity in the metal from surface rust.

There are several guys who swear by either mig or tig being THE best way.... and it simply isnt so. Both are tools... and both will get you to the finished product. Both have pros and cons

I learned a lot from an old timer who used to work for barris customs.... and to this day... he oxy welds sheetmetal panel work because he says he feels most comfortable with the process/results

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now onto matt's 510... finished up the futofab tailpan install and rockers. By far the best aftermarket panels you can purchase. I have a very negative opinion of another company's replacement panels... but i will keep it to myself.

20150824_171135_zpskpjhrx52.jpg 20150824_141728_zpsznm8vjqh.jpg 20150803_144412_zps9mhjwefb.jpg

The wheel/tire combo needed some flairs.... and we wanted to do something different than what is normaly seen... im not gonna go into the details about exactly what is done... but the biggest thing is reshaping the outer wheelhouse to gain clearance and getting rid of the flat ridges that normally would hit the tire... anyway... more pics

20150803_113740_zpsiopshcfy.jpg 20150803_144358_zpsiw4yk6he.jpg 20150818_161346_zpsvmauhxit.jpg 20150831_165139_zpsgzkyqj8s.jpg

• Like 1