74 620 V8 Swap

*fart*

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about electric water(coolant) pumps, but *fart* said he had one and therefore he could not use a regular thermostat, this may be a true fact, is there a  possibly the electric water(coolant) pumps can blow up hoses without a bypass?

I would not agree with the statement that the restrictor plate slows the coolant down to help cool the engine, I would say that it slows the coolant down so the engine can get up to operating temperature, and every engine likely has a sweet spot on how many holes are needed, trial and error is likely the only way to get to that sweet spot.

Having no thermostat sucks, the cabin heater never blows hot air no matter how long you drive it.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I don't think thermostats are a designed restriction as they are all pretty much the same size for ALL the hundreds of different engine styles displacements and rad combinations.Their size is just convenient to work with. Besides how do you get more cooling when an engine gets too hot??? The thermostat opens wider to let more flow through. It's staring everyone in the face but you can't see it.

22 hours ago, G-Duax said:

Wrong Mike, there is a thing of flow being too fast, Just talk to any oil cooler company design engineers.

(like I have)

Well they misled you or you misunderstood. The hotter the oil cooler or radiator the more efficient it becomes at shedding heat. This is because of the higher temperature difference between it and the ambient air.

* with the exception of a thicker fluid gaining heat from friction being forced through a tight pipe under extreme pressures. 

Lets revisit the hot cup of coffee.....

Starting coffee temperature 200 degrees (F).

Cooling down from 200 degrees to 150 degrees (50 degree drop) took 14 minutes.

Cooling down from 150 degrees to 100 degrees (50 degree drop) took 45 minutes.

Cooling down from 100 degrees to 75 degrees (25 degree drop) took 2 hours.

Cooling down from 75 degrees to 72.4 degrees (2.6 degree drop) took 1 hour....... 
http://www.wisedan.com/coffee.html

Look at it as entropy. The greater the difference the greater the change towards equilibrium. As the coffee becomes cooler the change is less and less. You are cooling cooler water.

Get the heat out of the engine as soon and fast as possible, keep the entire rad as hot as possible and the heat exchange is the highest.

• 2 weeks later...

Im gonna attempt to keep this thread on the rails.  Got some little jobs done here and there.  Started getting the floor sound deadened and heat shielded in order to get it prepped for carpet.  Spent some time over the past few days and got a leather shifter boot made.  This is the first boot ive done and I think it came out pretty clean.  I even managed to get the last french seam sewn as I closed up the loop.  Will look nice peekin through some carpet i hope!  Also this closes off the hole pretty well to the tranny.  Only a couple more "holes" in the tub i gotta close up!

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 years later...

Been a while since ive posted here... not sure if i ran the engine too hot or something.  Maybe Datzenmike was right... But almost everytime I drive the car now it seems to be smoking badly.  Maybe a blown headgasket??    Ill try and post a video later... 

Edited by *fart*
  • Like 1

Don't you have a temperature gauge??????

Smoke?

Blue is burning oil. White is steam.

Head gasket can blow into the coolant passage, between two adjacent cylinders and maybe out to the side. It can't blow into an oil gallery as oil travels through the hollow push rods to the head. I guess it could blow into an oil drain back hole but compression would blow outward and oil could not get in. So if blue smoke it has to come from...

1/ Bad valve seals. Not usually something that happens over night. The good news is it's an easy cheap fix .

2/ Worn out oil rings. Worst case is that over heating was so severe that the rings expanded enough to close the ring gap and broke and/or broke the ring lands. Also possible there is a hole in a piston. Take the plugs out and try to find which cylinder(s) are the worst.

If white smoke...

Take the plugs out and look for one that is extremely clean. More so than the others. This is from steam cleaning. If lucky, it will identify which side needs the new HG

Lol.. May have set up a little bit of a troll trap.  Truck is running awesome....  Only thing that sucks is the super high rear end gearing and weak leaf springs.  Makes for nice burnouts though!  Drawing up some plans now to narrow the rear frame rails to fit a Ford 9" and some bigger meats in the back.

Got the interior 75% finished or so... have to post up some photos of that a little later... Still working on getting some more heat shielding done.  Truck runs nice and cool most of the time, until I sit at 4 or 5 stop lights in a row in warmer weather it gets a little warm.  And yes i have a temp gauge.  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 11/15/2019 at 2:12 PM, *fart* said:

Im gonna attempt to keep this thread on the rails.  Got some little jobs done here and there.  Started getting the floor sound deadened and heat shielded in order to get it prepped for carpet.  Spent some time over the past few days and got a leather shifter boot made.  This is the first boot ive done and I think it came out pretty clean.  I even managed to get the last french seam sewn as I closed up the loop.  Will look nice peekin through some carpet i hope!  Also this closes off the hole pretty well to the tranny.  Only a couple more "holes" in the tub i gotta close up!

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

When I replaced my carpet, I used dynamat.Look's good.That was when I replaced the heating core,the carpet in my goes under the heater core,now,I don't use the heater core.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

When I replaced my carpet, I used dynamat.Look's good.That was when I replaced the heating core,the carpet in my goes under the heater core,now,I don't use the heater core.

Yeah I used something similar to dynamat.  From a company called B-Quiet, its a stick back heat shield and sound deadener.. should check it out... its like half the price of dynamat!

• Like 1