Are front struts the same for Wagons and Sedans/Coupes?

Evaded

I have a 1970 510 wagon. Looking for front struts for my wagon... cant find anything specific for wagon? Are they the same as the Coupes or Sedans? Also what about the rear shocks... local parts house said the rears were the same for wagon, coupe and sedan? Sorry super new to datsun and searched but didnt find.

Thanks

Eric

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has right hand drive it's a Coupe, otherwise it just 2 or 4 door sedan or a wagon. Coupes were never sold in North America so any you might see are imported.

You don't have struts? The 510 uses a McPherson strut that combines a shock absorber and a suspension spring in one unit. The strut is oil filled and there is a damper mechanism with valves inside that does the job of a shock absorber. The strut body never wears out but the damper inside may have lost some of it ability to act as a shock absorber.

There are two way to go here to get back the damping. If the damper has never been apart you can do so and dump out the thin watery hydraulic fluid and replace with something thicker which resists being pushed through the valves. I used 20W motorcycle fork oil by Bellray. Fork oil is used to 'tune' motorcycle suspensions and coms in a variety of 'weights'. About $17 for a liter, enough to do three struts. The results were fabulous and even more so when this only costs $8.50 a side!

The other is to replace the damper with a boughten, dry, self contained, replaceable insert. Maybe $75 each? I'm guessing? 

The stock rear shocks are different wagon vs sedan. But they are close enough to basically work fine. Wagon rear shocks are the same part number for Ford Crown Vic rear shocks. That said, I thought my pair of KYB GR-2s were too soft.