1965 L320 - Local since new, extensive history. IT'S ALIVE!

mhub91

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small update, no pics...

Ordered new....

Brake master and slave

4 new wheel cyls

brake shoes

fuel pump

clutch master

clutch slave

Lets see if it'll be driving in about a month!?

First drive will be where I bought it from to show the old lady progress!

• Like 3

That's cool, to bring it by and show the previous owner.

I sold a very clean 1974 Chevy C30 dually to a guy a few years ago for $3500 and he let it go to shit. So I bought it back for $500 and put $600 worth of parts into it, and then sold it again for $6500. I brought it by before I sold it just to show him, but my intentions were not 100% wholesome. I wanted to show him how much of a db he was for letting it go. I also wanted to tell him how much I sold it for, but that would have been going too far.

Your intentions are good, I can tell.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update....

Replaced wheel cylinders, brake master, clutch master. They are all for a 1968 520. They fit perfectly fine, as with the brake shoes. 

The clutch slave is a different story........ the 320 requires a clutch slave with mounting holes 2 3/8" center to center where as all other Datsuns have mounting holes 2" center to center. The early 520 has the 2 3/8" but the later 520 / 521 does not. I learned the hard way. This is the last piece to my puzzle before the truck takes it's maiden voyage.

Anyway, what kind of update is this with a pic or a video? I received a brand spankin' new-old stock Kyosan-Denki fuel pump... from GREECE! lol.

Got it installed and all is working well at this time. I now plan on replacing all rubber coolant and heater hoses and water pump and putting the engine through a series of heat cycles before it's first drive.

VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Can you use the clutch slave body you already have? Buy the new slave and rob it for all its parts. Hone the old slave body and put the two together?

Yeah, I've considered doing this. The old slave is in very rough condition.... Totally rusted solid on the inside. I'll try to soak it in vinegar or possible the electrolysis method before I begin cutting and welding lol.

Now, if It's severely pitted from the rust and too far gone to simply hone out, does anyone know of a place that car bore and re-sleave the cylinder? This is no longer a practice nowdays, as slave cylinders are so cheap... But I wonder if a local machinist could do it? 

• Like 1

I can't imagine a decent machinist who couldn't do that. It seems like just machining a bigger hole then lathing a tube to fit. Now whether they will... maybe mail it off to mr mklotz

• Like 1

There are two places I have used in the past. One is Apple Hydraulics and the other is White Post Restorations. Both are on the east coast.

http://www.applehydraulics.com/

http://www.whitepost.com/

You could apply some heat to the outside of the cylinder and then squirt in some WD40 or other liquid. Let it sit for a while after and try to remove the piston.

• Like 4

There are two places I have used in the past. One is Apple Hydraulics and the other is White Post Restorations. Both are on the east coast.

http://www.applehydraulics.com/

http://www.whitepost.com/

You could apply some heat to the outside of the cylinder and then squirt in some WD40 or other liquid. Let it sit for a while after and try to remove the piston.

Thanks for the lead. I'll see what I can do in my own garage and go from there. Like always, it's only as difficult as you make it.

• Like 3

Last year hosestop@msn.com made me a new flex hose for the slave that was an exact replacement. Less than $25; as I recall. My slave was rebuildable and I used a rebuild kit that I got with the truck when I bought him in 2013. I used a 620 master and replumbed it. I can't remember having to slot the mounting holes. I can go back and do some investigating on that though. Seems that I had to use the operating rod from the old 320 master. You can look at some of the install posts on about page #8 in my 'Mighty Mouse' thread on this 320 forum.

Steve

• Like 1

Our 320 is built 63/stamped & titled 64 and originally had the column shift trany. I changed from column shift to floor shift during the rebuild operation (over 1 1/2 years). I rebuilt the slave that was on the column shift and what I changed was the clutch arm pushrod. The cylinder is the same and it works fine.

Steve

• Like 1

The 521 and 620 pickups have the L-Series OHC engine and a completely different transmission. The transmission with the bottom pan replaced the early floor-shift transmission in approximately September 1965 which was half way through the first year 520 production. I'm thinking this is when the slave mounting bolt center distance changed. I'm sure that the column shift 320 and the floor shift 320 and first half year production of the 520 use the same basic slave cylinder. The slave pushrod is different to mate with the different clutch throwout arm that these two tranys have. That's how mine worked with the transmission change.

Steve

• Like 1

Decided to modify the new, replacement slave i bought.

used some steel tubing I had laying around. halfed it and welded it to the slotted slave cyl. mounts perfect and works as it should.

20160620_154927_zpse6qyrojx.jpg

20160620_154936_zpsflxswpa7.jpg

20160620_154954_zpsp4wtctgf.jpg

• Like 1

The maiden voyage checklist is dwindling down.....

I have to replace rear shoes and wheel cyls, resurface all 4 drums and bleed front, rear brakes and clutch and it will be drivable.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...