1965 L320 - Local since new, extensive history. IT'S ALIVE!

mhub91

I once left an aluminum valve cover in purple power for like 3 days. When I pulled it out it was covered in about 1/8 inch deep layer of corrosion built up on it. Pitted the crap out of my valve cover. :) whoops.

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the tips!

I appreciate the help.

My plan right night now is to clean it and see exactly what it needs to make it move.

On the bright side... The brakes are not seized and it rolls and steers easily. That's a relief. . .

• Like 2

Change the oil. Take off the valve cover and pour some oil over the top, then put the cover back on.

Then pull all four spark plugs and spray some WD40 into all four spark plug holes. Then insert the crank starter through the grille and see if you can turn the engine. If so, turn it over by hand a few times. If it won't turn add more WD and let it soak over night and then try again to turn the engine. Finding out if the engine is seized is the first step.

Fresh oil and it cranks over and has oil pressure.

No spark, though. I have voltage on the - side and the + side with key on, checking with test light. No spark out of coil, though. Pesky screws holding in coil are TIGHT! Going to parts store for a coil soon.

That IS cool.

So let me make sure I understand what you've got. You turn the key and the starter cranks the engine but it won't fire up because you don't have spark? Is that right?

Correct.

I found the reason why... I thought It was coil that was bad so I went and bought one (in stock, lol) for $14. Turns out the rotor was loose inside the distributor....... Doh!

• Like 1