1965 L320 - Local since new, extensive history. IT'S ALIVE!

mhub91

You might be surprised by the E-1.  Some of the parts are readily available, some not.  But the easiest thing may be to get the stock engine running.  Everything I've read and my experience to date is these are very bulletproof little engines.  IF you buy the truck, see if the engine will turn by hand.  Remove the spark plugs, spray in some WD40, and use the hand crank through the front grille and you may be surprised to find the engine is free.  If this is truly a low mileage truck a rebuild may be totally unneceesary. 

Yeah, I would definitely try my best to go that route first.  Even if it needs rebuilt, rebuild parts for E-1s have been popping up on ebay.

Having a bigger engine can always be fun, but these are trucks.  They don't need to go fast.  My truck came with a J13, and should only have a whopping 67hp, but it hauls everything I need.  Even with the J13 though, some of the poor fitment of a swapped engine bothers me.  There's not much room for the alternator at all, and the hood prop rubs the J13 aircleaner.  I'd much rather have a clean factory fitment of everything.  It can be done with a swap, but that involves other work I don't want to do.  My lack of time and crippling laziness is an issue.

Anyways, very nice find.  I would hose it off, try to get it driveable, cover up any bare metal that's prone to rust, and then keep driving it and hauling with it.  

Try to see if the hubcaps are laying around anywhere (they may just be sitting in the ladies garage or basement), or any other parts the PO has around.  The original 320 hubcaps can go for a lot of money, but widely available 620 caps look just fine on them to me.

Oh, and you definitely need new tires.  I would go with the 195/75-14 Hankook whitewalls like I got from Summit Racing. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the truck won't be daily driven, I might consider a set of vintage tires like the ones I put on my green 320. I bought them from Coker tire. Yes, they are bias ply, but they look perfect. Another route, if you wanted a larger diameter wheel but still a vintage look, is to use a set of early Toyota 4x4 (solid axle) stamped steel wheels. They are 15" and some pretty cool tires are available in 15".

IMG_0478Small.jpg

IMG_0479Small.jpg

IMG_2659Small.jpg

• Like 3

I suppose I'm already thinking of doing a swap before I even get the damn thing. You're all right. I need to atleast get the thing and go over the engine first. Who knows? I might run with a little TLC. I'm just getting ahead of myself due to excitement!  :blush:

• Like 1

Well, no I haven't yet... The lady is waiting for her nephew to "tell her he doesn't want it..." before she will sell it. She said she'll give him a few more weeks and then she will sell to me. Chances are.... I will buy it!

• Like 1

If you are going to cut this truck uo and molest it let me just buy yiu another 320 to build thats needs a motor and just let ne buy this one ill keep it the sane way including the camper just because

No, no plans of cutting it up.

• Like 1

I believe that restraint is a value most people do not exercise when doing any kind of swap, whether it be an engine swap, body swap, or suspension swap. If you maintain a clear vision (a cool vision) you can't be wrong.

I would much rather see a cut up truck that gets used than a stock "survivor" that sits on flat tires and hasn't moved in a year.

• Like 3

Thats cool mark, if ever you decide you would prefer to do a swap on the truck if the motor is too far gone just give me the opportunity to buy you another truck fir that. I could use a stock slow truck like that on the streets here not to mention the size too

• Like 2

Thats cool mark, if ever you decide you would prefer to do a swap on the truck if the motor is too far gone just give me the opportunity to buy you another truck fir that. I could use a stock slow truck like that on the streets here not to mention the size too

Greased Monkey,

Those Suzuki Jimnys in your profile sound interesting. Very uncommon in US.

Steve

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

bump.

Talked to the old lady again. Looks like the truck will be coming home soon.

No plans for it at this time, other than getting it running. For now, it will be stored in the garage.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, here it is. Long awaited photo dump.....

20160521_160402_zps5xtlxm79.jpg

20160521_160754_zpsl2cq0fn8.jpg

20160521_174324_zpsvdvn6g9s.jpg

20160521_180205_zpshfs1mj5g.jpg

20160521_180210_zpsdrwo590a.jpg

20160521_180213_zps1ibccjbh.jpg

20160521_180218_zpsgyzbrngo.jpg

20160521_180234_zps1zecmwq2.jpg

20160521_180247_zpsej3fqyiz.jpg

20160521_180306_zps92wjpscp.jpg

20160521_180729_zpsdc58coz2.jpg

20160521_180735_zpstaah8jdv.jpg

20160521_180741_zpszfva1scp.jpg

20160521_180752_zpsrftb0q50.jpg

20160521_180822_zpsebd0agpo.jpg

20160521_180829_zpsebxecx1g.jpg

20160521_182149_zpsp5lbqqg6.jpg

20160521_182153_zpsyg4gboyi.jpg

20160521_183831_zpsk1d8sshh.jpg

20160521_183839_zpsy7htesul.jpg

20160521_183846_zpsrto5whsx.jpg

20160521_183857_zps2n1yrbta.jpg

20160521_183904_zpsxuu6nrmw.jpg

More probably more pics tomorrow!

• Like 5

So......

It's gets even better.

There are DEALERSHIP maintenance records from "Gowin Datsun of Tacoma" and also "Topping Volvo and Datsun of Tacoma" .....

I will scan the massive stack of documents I have tonight and post them. 

dpge_zps0aslpe9c.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice job cleaning up the interior and front half exterior. It's a night and day difference. Looks great.

Something I noticed is that the VIN tag looks to me like it is stamped 1963 and your truck has a very low VIN. However your grille is definitely the 1964 style. And the engine is a later syle E1 with the six screw valve cover. And the floor located geear shift only came from the factory in the late 1965 320s. Perhaps your service records can illuminate the history that explains some of this.

The vin plate does look like 1963... And the VIN is SUPER low... But the title says it's a 65, and Vin plate stamp, is in fact a "5"... Who ever stamped it back in the day did a sloppy job.

One trick I use on older paint, if I want to bring the color back (sometimes I want to leave it alone), I use Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power degreaser. Spray or sponge it on, scrub with a light brush and pressure wash it off. It brings back the color but leaves a dull shine which has to be buffed to shiny.

Word of caution: Those two degreasers can permanently etch glass and will take anodizing, cad or zinc plating off if left on too long. Keep it off the glass. If used on cad or zinc, clean it off in under 5 minutes and you're usually safe. Anodized aluminum...never.

• Like 1