280zx driveshaft diameter vs 510 driveshaft diameter?

I would like to put a five speed from a 1980 280zx in my L20b powered 510. I have read all that I can find about the conversion and what it entails. One thing I can't find info on is driveshaft diameter. The seller of the 5 speed has the driveline from the 280 to sell along with the Trans. Can I shorten the Z driveline instead of shortening the 510?

I apologize if the answer is obvious but I haven't seen the 280 driveshaft to compare it to the 510.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diameter doesn't matter. What does is the length.

The stock 4 speed sedan driveshaft is 42 9/16" long it needs to be shortened to 37 3/8" in order to fit a longer zx 5 speed.

Measure the zx driveshaft and if it is 37 3/8" or longer it can be shortened.

This is the driveshaft lengths to the previous generation 280z car...

tearlylatezcardriveshaftl.jpg

750mm is only 29.55". I doubt the 280zx driveshaft is 7 or 8" longer. Find out.

I think I had to use the 510 drive shaft because the 280zx one being too short. That is, I know I used the 510 unit but am not positive the 280 unit was too short. My trans is an '82. That said, my l20 seems to be over a quarter inch farther forward than most. I have the same engine and radiator as Dave from sacdat, he has spacers on his and over a quarter inch clearance on the bottom hose, mine has no spacers and I also flattened the lip around the radiator to get similar clearance.