CLUTCH PROBLEM...PLEASE HELP

Rocky671

I had somebody replace my clutch for me from just a regular 5 speed clutch to a competution stage 2 clutch.He replaced the clutch plate and pressure plate.Put it back together but when clutch was pressed in it mad a loud grinding sound and wouldn't go into gear.Then he dropped the tranny again and replaced the throwout bearing.Put it back together then when clutch was pushed in it mad a grinding sound but not as loud and was able to be put into gear.What can be the problem now???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume this is for a 720? There is no such thing as a '5 speed clutch'. Clutches have nothing whatever to do with the transmission behind them. All Z24 engines ran a 240mm diameter clutch and pressure plate.

If you depress the clutch pedal and shift into reverse slowly do the gears grind?

First of all be sure that the hydraulic clutch system has not gotten any air into it while the transmission was out. Air is compressible and won't move the clutch arm properly. Have someone measure the clutch arm movement right at the slave cylinder .. it should be about one inch. If less or none the air must be bled out.

If the hydraulics are ok then...

The clutch arm can only work through a limited range of motion. Different pressure plates are taller or shorter (front to back) To compensate for this the collar that holds the release bearing comes in different lengths... a taller PP uses a shorter collar, a short PP uses a longer collar.

transTOBearings.jpg

The above is just an example. It would seem that the 'new' clutch is not disengaging so probably a longer collar is needed.

• Like 2

I think the disc is on backwards.

What brand is this "Stage 2 competition" clutch? 

Who is making anything past an OE replacement clutch for a 1895 720?

I hope you didn't pay this Jack of No Trades to do this. 

You say you're a rookie mechanic-but you could have done this job yourself. 

Couldn't have been much worse. Right?

• Like 1

At this point, if bleeding doesnt solve issue. Pull tranny,measure components,part numbers,ect and post up some pics. with that we can better help u figure things out. Otherwise ur goin to pull things apart over and over. also measure old press plate compared to new one.

does anyone know if a "stage 2" t/o bearing is different from stock?

Mine was the same.....I used a Centerforce stage 2 in 5Teezy....

......I had gear engagement issues cuz I wasn't using the correct sleeve....

On the 510.....the stage 2 clutch is taller than the stock one.......

........what he said...vv

At this point, if bleeding doesnt solve issue. Pull tranny,measure components,part numbers,ect and post up some pics. with that we can better help u figure things out. Otherwise ur goin to pull things apart over and over. also measure old press plate compared to new one.

It's a team cc competition stage 2 clutch...stock flywheel and a normal throwout bearing....

(Problems)

*when pressure is on clutch it makes a little grind noise except when pushed in all the way.

*When put into gear grind noise gets a little louder.

*A little rough going into gear.

*Grinds going into reverse.